Renewed Freedom

Manik's POV

"News is that some lady's here to meet you today." Noah says, grabbing hold of my arm and stopping me. Distractedly, I shake off his grip, my gaze pinned to the meeting room's door.

"Yes," I murmur, continuing on my way.

"Is she the one from the drawings?" Noah calls out from behind me. 

"Not even close," I reply, marching ahead on a mission. I've thought of today time and again for the past seven days, but no length of thinking has prepared me enough. I guess I'll just have to step into that room and take it from there. This time the metal door feels weightless, almost as if it is welcoming me inside. Upon entering, I see that Alya is seated on the opposite side of the metal table, her palms splayed on it, eyes cast downwards. She doesn't look up as I enter, and nor does she acknowledge my presence in anyway. Making my way towards Alya, I clear my throat. No response.

"Hey," I say, my patience levels already wearing thin. Truth be told, all I want to do is get to the point and end this meeting, not because I am uncomfortable around Alya after all she's done. But because the sooner this is over, the sooner I can leave this hellhole and get to my Angel.

"M-Manik, why have you called me here today?" Alya asks me, her voice quavering. I tilt my head, trying to gauge her emotions. She's not making eye contact with me. Is it because Alya's guilty about me being here when she knows I have done nothing wrong whatsoever? No, this woman is a heartless bitch, just like Nyonika. And so I know that emotions, like guilt, are impossible for them to undergo.

"Because I need to get out," I blurt out blatantly. Why beat around the bush? "Alya, you know it as well as I do that - "

"You're innocent," Alya cuts in, completing my sentence for me. "Why now? I guess what I'm trying to say is, why call me now after all these months to get you out?" 

"I'm quite sure you've lost the right to ask me anything and expect any answers from me." Although my words may make Alya think I'm still enraged at her for what she did to me, in all honesty, I really am not. By now I'm so used to people, other than Angel, letting me down that it doesn't even affect me anymore - I've become immune to their shit. 

"Manik, I..." Alya shuts her eyes, turning her head to the left. "I..I didn't think you'd plead guilty. The case...this entire situation...it wasn't supposed to reach this extent." Lord, why is this woman testing my patience? All I want to know from her is whether or not she'll help me out. Otherwise, I'll find other means of releasing myself from here. "Sorry doesn't cut it, but I truly am apologetic for this entire mess." Not once since I entered this room has Alya made eye contact with me. I may not trust her words, but I can tell from her behaviour that she is guilty regarding my current situation. 

"Don't be sorry," I say. "Just help me out." Alya clasps her hands together, the diamond on her ring finger flashing at me. "You're engaged?" I'm sure she heard the surprise in my tone.

"Married," Alya corrects. 

"So you finally managed it, huh? To rope in some rich asshole," I comment, shaking my head incredulously. Angel's Aiyappa works in mysterious ways indeed. For fuck's sake, He can grant a vile woman all her heart's disgusting desires, but He can't help people like me and Angel out? What the fuck goes on in His head?

"He cares, Manik." Alya says, defending her marriage. "Having deep pockets is just part of the package deal." Ah, of course. 

"Well, it was great catching up with you, but we don't have enough time and I need to leave." Pulling out the chair opposite to Alya, I lower myself onto it. "Will you help me or not?" Grabbing her purse off the table, Alya stands up and turns around. Wow, this was a waste of time. Why did I even try?