The Journey Continues

"And here we set off on another first for you," I say. "You've been to many cities and countries, Mr. Manik Malhotra, but this experience will be one of a kind."

"Yes because I'm not going to ever willingly visit a village again," he says. "Only your goddamn Aiyappa knows why I'm here."

"Hey! Respect," I chide Manik. "Aiyappa isn't your friend that you can curse at Him in joke or anger."

"The way you defend him one would think he's your boyfriend." Manik grumbles, glancing around. "You know, Angel, you owe me double time because today morning I got up, realized I'm running late, and came here without eating breakfast."

"I have some breakfast bars in my bag if you want," I offer. It's a long journey and so I've packed enough snacks to suffice for the both of us.

"Don't worry, I got Sateesh to pack me something." Manik takes his backpack off his shoulders and places it in between his legs. My eyes widen as soon as I realize Manik's wearing three-quarter khaki shorts.

"What were you thinking?" I exclaim, my eyes still trained on the bare skin of his legs.

"Unfortunately I didn't get the time to shave." Manik replies sarcastically. 

"You idiot," I punch him lightly on his bicep. "The mosquitoes are going to suck all your blood." I tug at the hem of my full sleeves. "Look at this, here I am covering every inch of skin and then there's you."

"Fucking hell, so you're telling me alongside unhygienic shit, cannibals, and whatever diseases those weird people have, I also need to now deal with bloody mosquitoes." Manik shakes his head in disbelief. "Fuck, what have I gotten myself into?"

I loop my arm through his, resting my head on his shoulder. 

"You've roped yourself into a beautifully long journey with me," I say, smiling. "Consider this to be our honeymoon." 

"What a pious one," Manik mumbles, lifting the lid off the lunchbox he's taken out. My eyes land on the French toast that I had made today morning for Manik. While I was at home, absentmindedly gathering snacks for myself, I thought about how Manik might not accompany me on this trip, and so I just had to prepare breakfast for him before going. I guess I thought that maybe he will eat the food and at least remember me, even if it's just for a couple of minutes.

"Oh, we can get down and dirty if you want," I suggest. The plastic fork hovers in the air above the French toast. Manik looks at me through the corner of his eye, eyebrow cocked.

"Since when did our roles get reversed?" He asks, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. I shrug, as I watch him eagerly dig into the food. 

"By the way, Manik, you eat my food nowadays, huh?" He shakes his head. 

"No, this was prepared by Sateesh," he replies through a mouthful. I narrow my eyes at him. He fully well knows who has made this dish and yet he refuses to admit defeat to my face.

"So he didn't just pack it? I mean, it doesn't look like something Sateesh would've made," I argue. 

"It is. You haven't known the man long enough to know all the tricks he has up his sleeve." I nod understandingly. "And I didn't think of you or anything, but at times I like to have two meals a day. Like two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners, and so I've got extra food packed, in case you want to share." Laughing, I squeeze Manik's cheek in between my fingers.

"You're a darling," I comment. 

*****

"But I won't let them break me down to dust." Manik sings softly, invading the darkness that's surrounding me. My eyelids flutter open to find us surrounded by the night sky. I sit up with a jerk, all signs of sleep draining from my body.

"What's the time?" I ask, gazing around me. Manik checks his wristwatch. 

"It's - " 

"How long have I been asleep for?" I shoot another question at him. My eyes land on his shoulder which has a wet spot on it. My eyes widen in realization. No, no, no. Aiyappa, please tell me I didn't drool on the Devil. How in the world did I fall asleep on this bumpy ride?

"For about five, six hours maybe," Manik replies. 

"A-And you stayed in that position for the entire time?" I want to ask him how. Surely his body is stiff by now.

"It's not a big deal so don't make it one," he snaps. "I was scared to move because I thought I'd fall over." I roll my eyes at Manik's pathetic attempt at making an excuse. When will this man learn that doing good isn't a crime? 

"Didn't you go for a bathroom break? I mean, I'm sure the bus stopped somewhere," I say. Manik flicks his wrist dismissively.

"I've got a strong bladder." Another excuse. "And anyways, I didn't drink water, so it's okay." My eyes flit over towards the empty bottle of water that's lying near Manik's feet. Liar. 

"Next time, just wake me up," I say. "I sleep like a log." Manik grins, nodding his head in agreement.

"Oh yes, I saw that," he says. "And you drool as well. We've definitely not started our honeymoon on the right foot." I punch Manik again on his bicep, my cheeks heating up. I swear there's nothing more embarrassing than leaking saliva onto your husband - who's also your crush. 

"Since you don't know how it's done, maybe I can show you." I drop my tone to a whisper, as I scoot closer to Manik. He splays his palm across my shoulder-blade, halting me from moving any closer. 

"You know, Manik," I say. "For a man who seemed so gutsy to me once upon a time, I really think you don't have the balls to be daring enough. You're like a...what's the word? Pussy, is it?" I ask, feigning innocence. A smile of amazement makes its way across Manik's lips.

"I don't know about me, but you've got balls that are way too big for your size, Angel." Manik's words cause my cheeks to heat up. "When will you fail to amaze me?" 

"Hmm...well, maybe once I'm dead," I suggest. 

"Shut up!" Manik snaps harshly, startling me. "Don't speak such shit. It's infuriating," he chides. 

Oh, so someone's sensitive regarding the topic of death, huh? I have a feeling this trip will be a real eye opener as far as Manik's character - likes and dislikes - are concerned. After all, they do say that the best way to get to know a person is by traveling with them. To top it off, on this trip, he and I will be free of the distractions of technology and the busy life of Mumbai. It's simply going to be the two of us and quite frankly, that's all I need.