Out In The Open

"Is he still out there?" I ask Himanshu. The man looks at me as if I'm asking the most obvious question in the world, one whose answer is known to even a newborn baby. "Thanks," I murmur, already receiving a reply without him saying anything.

"Nandini, do you want tea?" Rebecca asks from the kitchen. 

"No thanks." I call back, as I pace across the foyer. How am I expected to eat, or even sit down when Manik is seated outside under the burning sun, making friends with God knows what kinds of insects. We reached home around noon, with Manik's car following close behind. Evening is now above our heads and the man's still rotting outside.

"Nandini, your pacing and hunger strike won't make Manik go away." Rebecca says, poking her head out of the kitchen. "He's as stubborn as a mule. He will stay there until he wants to get up and leave." 

"I know," I murmur, cracking my knuckles. Huffing, I throw my head back, staring up at the ceiling. Aiyappa, give me some cure to decrease this restlessness.

"Your leg will begin to ache shortly. Please sit down." Ignoring Rebecca's words, I continue to move back and forth, my hands quite familiar on the crutches by now. Has Manik eaten anything all day? Or is his stubbornness outweighing his sensibility as usual? My feet are magnetically pulling me towards the staircase. Unfortunately, however, I will be unable to climb it and watch the Devil from the terrace.

"I can't do this anymore." I announce to myself, heading towards the kitchen. I need to take food and something to drink for Manik, otherwise I won't be able to rest all night. 

"Nandini, what're you doing?" Rebecca asks, as I pull open the fridge door with great urgency, my eyes searching its contents. They land on the platter of Biryani. Perfect!

"What're you doing?" She repeats, as I pull out the plateful of rice and place it on the counter beside me. 

"I'm taking food out to Manik," I reply. Grabbing a bottle of Coke, I shut the fridge door. These stupid crutches will definitely hamper my progress.

"What's wrong with you, Nandini?" Rebecca exclaims, staring at me accusingly. "Don't forget all the horrible things he's done." I halt my actions, the gears in my mind churning with a flurry of thoughts.

"Rebecca," I say, thoroughly thinking my words through. One wrong word and I might just deeply offend my friend. "Please do hear me out with an open mind. Do you think there's even a sliver of a chance that Manik didn't...I mean, that he wasn't involved in what happened the night of your birthday? Did he truly touch you in the wrong way?" I watch Rebecca's expressions unsurely. "I'm not saying you lied to me of course," I add hastily. "I just...Something doesn't sit well with me. The Manik I know wouldn't - couldn't - perform such a sinful act." 

"There's no other explanation for what happened," Rebecca says. "He was the one who arranged the entire party, and his words..." She trails off, her meaning quite clear to me. "Why else would he have said those nasty words?"

"I don't...I don't know," I shrug, my mind bearing a clutter I'm unable to sort through. I want to talk to Manik, but the fear of all this being true is nagging at the back of my mind.

"If you want to be the kind person you are, and give Manik food, then I won't stop you." Rebecca says, taking hold of the Biryani platter and placing it in the microwave. "Giving up on love isn't easy, and I get that. I, too, loved Manik a great while after the incident happened."

"Rebecca, maybe you should hear Manik out once. I know for a fact that he's been trying desperately to get a few words into your ears, but he's been failing at it." I say, unsure as to why I'm fighting for the Devil's case.