A Hollow Victory

Manik's POV

"Manik, you can go nuts and tour the world on that, but I think I'll stay behind." Angel says, stepping away from the bicycle as if it will start spitting knives in her direction at any given moment.

"Oh come on," I say, grabbing hold of her hands and pulling her towards the bicycles. "Once you get going there'll be no stopping."

"That's exactly what I fear!" My wife exclaims, eyes wide. "That once I start pedalling, I won't know how to stop." I guide her hands towards the handles on the bicycle I've rented for her. 

"Angel, whenever you feel like you're gaining speed, or when we approach a bend in the road, gradually press down on these brakes." I instruct, pressing my fingers against hers for a quick demonstration. She pouts as she stares at the bicycle, her eyes accusatory. "For fuck's sake, Angel," I cry out, taking a step back. "You're telling me that you've never rode a bicycle in your life." 

"I have, Manik," she replies, looking at me with eyes that are clouded with worry. "Once upon a time when I was ten." 

"Once upon a time...Fuck, you're older than I thought, Angel." I tease, scrunching up my nose. "Our age gap must be, what, ten to twenty years?" Throwing her head back in annoyance, my wife smacks my left bicep. Grinning, I straddle my own bicycle. "Look, if you want to prove me wrong, wake up your lazy bones and get on that seat." Angel's eyes land on the bicycle, her arms crossed in front of her chest. Sighing, I reach out and take her hand in mine. "I'll ensure nothing happens to you," I assure her. "Even if that means hurting myself in the process." Grinning, Angel throws her hands in the air. 

"Fine," she concedes, positioning herself on the bicycle as well. "I mean, what's the worst that could happen?" 

"That's the spirit," I exclaim excitedly. "I'll give you a few minutes to get a feel for the bicycle and then we'll set off." Now that Angel has made up her mind to go cycling with me, she readily agrees to do a few test rounds before we start our journey. Smiling, I watch my wife as she begins to pedal, her movements bearing just a tinge of hesitancy. 

The good days don't seem to want to end with Angel. She and I just returned from viewing the Northern Lights and according to me this trip was the best one I've taken so far. Not because of the beautiful phenomenon we got to experience, but because of the woman who I got to share it with. 

"Manik, am I now allowed to put this camera to good use?" Angel asks, holding the bag up. 

"It's yours," I say. "Do what you will with it." Smiling with satisfaction, she unzips the bag and pulls out the camera. An excited squeal escapes Angel's lips as she turns it on.

"Now if you don't mind." I say, checking my watch. "I will be taking a short nap." Bundling up my jacket, I place it on the grass and lie down. 

"How in the world can you think of sleep at a time like this? Isn't your stomach jumping up and down with excitement?"  Angel asks. Placing my hands underneath my head, I shut my eyes.

"Angel, the sun's still out and shining bright," I point out. "Which means that the Northern Lights will not be visible to our naked eye for another hour or so. Considering you've been keeping me up all night nowadays, I think I deserve some rest. Otherwise, Lord forbid, I won't be able to match up to your high energy in our bedroom."  The thoughts of our activities from the past couple of nights make me smirk. 

"If napping means your lips will stay sealed shut, then please go ahead." Angel says, my teasing getting the best of her as always.

*****