Future...Right?

I stumble towards my right and then a few steps to the left. Aiyappa, why does everyone seem to continuously toy with me? First it was Manik and now this storm. I feel as if I'm pushing against a concrete wall, and instead of just standing there it is exerting a force that is ten times more than mine on me.

Some distance ahead, I can see the back of a man near the river. Is he trying to get on the water? I try to figure out who this psycho is through whatever little I can see because of my squinted eyes. I'm heading onto the river because Ira is on the opposite bank, but what is his reason? 

"Hey!" I call out. The man doesn't show any signs of acknowledgement. Good God, this howling wind is making  it impossible to get anything done; be it walking, looking, or even communicating. The man's left hand moves to his side, and that's when recognition hits me. There's only one person here that wears those bands. Manik! But why in the world is he carrying out this act of insanity? 

"Manik!" I yell, praying he hears me and stops. Either the man is soiling his pants while traveling in a boat, or he is fearlessly setting sail in it at a time like this. "Manik!" This time it seems as if my words have reached his ears, for he stops and turns around. I wave my arms like a mad woman, urging my feet to keep going. By now, my heart has plummeted to the pit of my stomach in fear for my husband. We may not be on good terms, but I most definitely do not want to see him in a coffin.

As I near Manik, I stumble forwards. My hands latch onto his shoulders, using him as an anchor.

"Manik, what in the world are you doing?" I ask, my breath coming out in short gasps.

"A-Angel, is that you?" He questions disbelievingly, his eyes flying across every corner of my face. His palms make contact with my cheeks, his fingers trailing along the sides of my face. 

"Manik, I don't understand what you're going on about." I say, as he continues to feel my face. I wish to smack his hands away, but Manik's actions are crossing all limits of desperation. He's making it seem as if his life depends on it. 

"No, this can't be. I'm dreaming again." Manik shakes his head, cocking it to the side. 

"Oh for goodness sake, are you in your senses?" I take a step away from my husband, watching him unsurely. 

"No," he replies, sounding as if he's in a daze. "I'm hallucinating." Manik turns around, taking a step towards the boat. Without giving it a second thought, I grab hold of his collar and yank him back around. My other hand comes up to make contact with his cheek, delivering a perfectly carried out slap. In my opinion, a much needed one. 

Manik stares into my eyes for a second. I gaze right back into his, awaiting the ticking time bomb to explode any second now. I have, after all, laid hands on the Devil. A gasp escapes my lips as Manik's lips make contact with mine. His hands wrap around my cheeks once more, his lips moving in perfect harmony with mine. When did I begin to respond to him? My eyes shut on their own volition as I allow Manik to guide our lips together as if they are performing a duet. 

His tongue slides along my lower lip, a soft moan slipping out of my mouth. The side of Manik's thumb brushes along my cheeks, my stomach tying itself into knots. I wrap my arms around the back of the Devil's neck, bringing our bodies even closer together. In desperate need of breath, Manik and I pull back at the same time, his forehead resting against mine. 

Here I was expecting a heavy shower of curses from his lips, but instead I've received nothing but flowers. I'm not much experienced in the field of showing physical affection, but I can bet my life that this is one of the best kiss that anyone can ever experience. 

"I-I'm sorry," Manik whispers, his breath fanning my face. He's sorry? Was I that bad? I mean, how hard can kissing really be? It's not like there are techniques for it...or are they? He pivots on his heel, bending down and grabbing the edge of the boat.

I rest my hand on his arm, halting his actions once more.

"Manik, what're you doing?" I ask, placing my emotions to one side for the moment.

"I was originally going to save you," Manik says. He offers me a relieved smile. "But now - "

"Wait a second." I raise my index finger, trying to sort out his words in my head. "You were going to risk your life? For me?" 

"Angel, I'm ready to trade all the stars in the sky for you, so what's a bit of risk taking?" Manik grins, glancing over towards the river. My lips are sealed shut, as I try to register the Devil's words. Did I hear him correctly? Or is my mind playing tricks on me? "But it's not just about you. There are other people on the other side, right?" I nod vigorously, snapping back to the present. Of course there are. That's exactly why I'm here.

"And I'm going to get them," Manik and I say in unison. His eyes widen, as he furrows his brows. 

"No way in hell are you getting onto that river, Angel." Manik says sternly. 

"Oh for God's sake, Manik." I let out a sigh of exasperation. "You couldn't even open your eyes on the way to this place and now you want to act all heroic and set sail during a storm." I scoff, shaking my head. "Not a chance." Instead of hurling harsh words towards me, Manik smiles, taking a step in my direction.

He brings his left hand towards my face, the pad of his thumb brushing the skin underneath my eyes.

"I've never witnessed this emotion in your eyes before." He says, the smile still lingering on his lips. "This...This intense fear. But I'm glad that I'm the first one to evoke such a deep feeling from inside of you." Manik sighs, taking a step back. "I'll be back, don't you worry. Till then, keep this beautiful emotion trapped in your eyes." 

He pivots on his heel, but my fingers entangle themselves into the gaps of his, causing him to turn back around once more. 

"This isn't right," I say, my heart picking up pace with fear. "You shouldn't be going. At least let me come with you." Manik shakes his head, a smile still adorning his face.

"The world won't mind losing another filthy Devil," he says. "But it can't afford to give up the one Angel it holds." And you say I shouldn't love you. Without giving my actions a second thought, I wrap my arm around the back of Manik's neck once more, pushing his face down towards mine. Our lips make contact again, mine smashing against his. 

"This isn't a goodbye kiss," I mumble against his mouth. Our lips move in perfect sync again - almost as if we have practiced this a bunch of times before - my salty tears slipping in between them. "It's a promise of all that's to come." I don't care if Manik is regretting kissing me because I'm a horrid kisser, or that he never wishes to share any form of physical affection with me in the future. However, I do wish to experience a thousand more such moments with him. 

Manik's hands make contact with my forearms as he pulls away. He runs his tongue along the bottom of his lip, almost as if he's wanting to taste the last traces of me. I mentally smack my head against the wall for thinking such a bizarre thought. The man just apologized for kissing me a while back, and now I'm thinking he cherishes it. What rubbish!

Without saying another word, Manik turns around, my arm falling limply to my side and pulls the boat towards the water. This time I don't stop him, for I know he's going to return. Our tale isn't over yet. In fact, it's not even begun.