Ambushed

The second my eyes land on the crowd gathered inside the lounge, I mentally label myself an idiot. Manik was right, I am a fool and handling Devils isn't my cup of tea. 

A few ladies is not what I would call the crowd of women gathered inside. No, a mob is what such a great number of people is called. Furthermore, none of them are casually dressed. Not even close. All of them are show-offing elegant, expensive jewels, complemented by the best pieces of clothing one could find in any branded store.

Why in the world did I allow myself to get fooled by Nyonika's lies? Now I understand Sateesh's worry. An army is needed to prepare food and drinks for such a great number of people at such a short notice.

"Ah, there she is." Nyonika announces from inside the lounge, her eyes landing on me. "Manik's wife. Uh huh, new maid is a better suited title for her." A volley of laughter erupts from the women, as they rest their eyes on me, their orbs clouded with judgement. 

I look down at my clothes, feeling uncomfortable in my own skin for the first time. I'm wearing a casual, green colored kurti, which reaches till my knees. Underneath this, I chose to wear my everyday black tights, because according to Nyonika, tonight was supposed to be casual. Little did I know that her casual meant award function worthy attire.

"Come on in, Nandini," Nyonika waves me over. "I'm just joking. Don't take my words to heart." She smiles at me, but instead of feeling reassured, a cold feeling seeps into the very soles of my feet.

I want to go home. Back to my house, where I am not tricked or ridiculed. A safe haven in which I don't need to fear for my safety and juggle two Devils, as if one wasn't hard enough to deal with. 

"I-I'll get the drinks," I say, pointing towards the kitchen with my thumb. Whatever can keep me out of that shark tank, in which those ladies are ready to devour me whole, I will do it. 

"See, I told you she's so subservient." Nyonika's voice carries out from the lounge, as I turn around and make my way towards the kitchen. "It's like having your own personal maid, twenty-four-seven, without having to pay for it. No questions asked, and all the work done." 

My feet stop, my fists clenching at my sides. I shut my eyes, inhaling a deep breath. I need to remain calm. Insulting Manik's mother in front of all these guests isn't an option. She may be a horrid lady, but she's still my elder and I simply cannot disrespect her like how I wish I could. Like how she deserves to be insulted. 

"I guess that's why Manik chose her," my mother-in-law continues. "Boys nowadays just want a wife who will clean up after them, and not ask any questions or have any demands." 

"Indeed," a woman agrees. "I believe that's why our girls are still sitting at home, enjoying their lives."

"Oh, let them. Being single ain't a crime," Nyonika says. "Keep them under your wings until you can because once they're married, it'll be all work, work, work. Just look at poor Nandini." 

Pain spreads through my palms, as my nails pierce the flesh. I can't bear this anymore. Moving out of earshot will be the best thing to do right now, before I lose whatever little cool I have left and do something I'll regret later on. 

"Sateesh," I say, entering the kitchen and shutting the door behind me. "You were right to look worried. There is a mob of women in our house tonight and the dinner that you've made won't suffice at all." 

"Yes, Ma'am, that's exactly what I was trying to tell you." Sateesh says, worry still clouding his features. An emotion that is a hundred percent justified.

"Okay, please go out and tell Babu to bring about ten cold drink bottles." I tap my fingers against the breakfast counter, the gears in my brain working on overdrive. "And I'll order some food." Sateesh nods vigorously, jogging out of the backdoor.