Surprise Getaway

"Manik, now I'm the one who's being kidnapped. Let me tell you that this feels horrible," I say. Grinning knowingly, Manik brings the back of my hand up to his lips, leaving a light peck on it.

"Trust me, Angel, this biting curiosity will be worth it once we reach our destination." He assures me, his leg shaking back and forth in excitement. 

"Could you give me a teeny tiny hint?" I beg, scooting closer to him. The wicked smile on Manik's face tells me he has no intentions to let out even the slightest whisper regarding the destination we're headed for. "At least tell me as to how much longer we need to sit in this blacked out car for." 

"Five more minutes, Angel." Manik replies, taking a quick glance at his watch. Sighing, I rest my head against the window, blackness staring back at me instead of the world outside. Manik has rented a Mercedes van, whose windows are tinted. Unfortunately, they're blackened out in such a manner that I cannot view anything through the windows, and neither can the people outside see anything but the colour black. 

The cracking of Manik's knuckles interrupt the silence around us. Furrowing my brows, I turn my gaze towards my husband. He is still shaking his leg vigorously, his fingers continuously at work. Wait a second...the actions that I translated as an output of excitement are actually due to nervousness.

"Manik, are you alright?" I ask, concerned. Clearing his throat, the Devil gives a subtle shake of his head, before he nods a few times; almost as if he is trying to reassure himself more than me. 

"Yes, of course." Manik says, his tone louder than it needs to be. "Why wouldn't I be?" Shaking my head in disappointment at my husband's pathetic efforts to lie, I place my hand above his to stop the constant fidgeting. 

"Something's clearly bothering you," I state matter-of-factly. "A gut feeling tells me that it has something to do with wherever we're headed." The car comes to a halt, Manik's body language changing at once. He is suddenly more alert, as if anticipating an attack. Before I can get any answers out of Manik, the locks click, causing him to hurriedly slide the door open. 

"Come on out, Angel." Manik says, exiting the car. Taking his outstretched hand, I get out of the car as well. Frankly, I expected a hotel to greet me, or a restaurant. However, instead of such romantic backdrops, I am met with the sight of a plane. 

"We are on a tarmac," I say, as if Manik is unaware of our whereabouts. The driver has parked the van in front of a flight of stairs that lead up towards the plane's entrance. "What're we...Manik, what's going on?" Pure confusion is clouding my mind. 

"Angel, we're going sailing." Manik replies sarcastically, wrapping his arm around my waist. "What the fuck do you think we're going to do with a plane? Board it and fly someplace else, of course." 

"Where exactly is this, 'Someplace else,' located?" I ask, as my husband guides me towards the staircase. "And is this a private plane, Manik?" How much money does this man possess? 

"Yes it is," he replies nonchalantly, as if every other person in Mumbai owns one. "And the destination is still a secret, but I will try my level best to ensure you enjoy this journey, Madame." Smiling, I begin to ascend the flight of stairs. I can never predict Manik's next move, no matter how hard I try to do so. My feet halt at once, a thought entering my head. 

"Manik," I say, turning around to face him. "I haven't packed for a trip. I mean, how am I expected to board a plane, to an unknown destination, without any of my personal belongings. All I've got in this bag of mine is a lipgloss, a few thousand rupees, and my phone." Grinning, my husband places his hands on my shoulders and turns me around to face the entrance of the plane.