The Journey Begins

He won't come. He will. My brain is telling me that Manik won't join me on this journey, which is of course the logical thought considering his reaction from yesterday. However, my heart adamantly refuses to listen. It's telling me he will show up. 

I fiddle with my fingers nervously, as I keep my eyes trained towards the entrance of the bus station. Please come, Manik. He doesn't wish to stay without me and quite frankly, neither do I want to leave him and go. However, I cannot give in to his childish behavior because that's simply not how life works. The people suffering in those villages need me more than Manik and I need each other. Not everything in life can be along the lines of our comfort.

"The bus will be leaving in ten minutes!" The bus conductor yells. I twist the edges of my shirt in my fingers, impatiently tapping my foot against the ground. Why isn't Manik here yet? I mean, if he wanted to come, then he'd have arrived by now, right? So what's the point in me waiting any longer for him? I should take a seat and accept defeat. I've been winning so far with Manik, but until how long? 

Sighing, I pick up one of the two duffel bags I've brought, my biceps straining with the effort. Aiyappa, this is so heavy due to all the medications, vaccine boxes and cans of food. I take a step towards the luggage compartment.

"Here we go," I say, huffing, as I lift the bag a bit more, so that it can easily be placed inside the compartment.

"I'll take that." A man's voice to my left says, as the bag is easily taken out of my grasp. My head jerks towards the direction of the sound at once, my eyes widening as soon as they rest on the speaker. 

"Manik!" I exclaim, squeezing my eyes shut and re-opening them, unable to believe the sight in front of me. Without wasting a second, I engulf him in a tight embrace, raising myself on my tiptoes so that my lips can reach his ear. "I knew you'd come," I whisper, letting go of him and stepping back. Manik slides the bag into the compartment easily, making it seem as if there are only feathers inside. 

"I thought about it," Manik says. "And I came to the conclusion that not accompanying you would be wrong. Not because I will miss you, or wish to spend even another minute in your presence, but because you're an Angel. And Angels don't know how to handle themselves amongst malicious men and women. For all I know, you could run into cannibals in this village you're headed for, and then what? Without me you'll be defenseless." I roll my eyes, putting every ounce of effort into biting my tongue, so that I don't call Manik out on his male chauvinism. 

"Oh, Great Malhotra," I say, pressing my palms together and bowing slightly in front of him. "I am forever in debt of you coming with me otherwise what would I have done? Imagine, poor me, all alone." I shake my head, tsking. "What a disaster." 

"Absolutely and that's why, I, the chivalrous gentleman has come along." Manik smiles proudly. "You owe me for a lifetime." He glances around the bus station, his brows furrowing together. "So this bus will take us directly to that village you're dying to get to?" I nod my head. "Do they even have roads? Heck, can they even speak?" 

"No, Manik," I say deadly serious. "It's like Venice. Everyone has to navigate around with boats and there are alligators inside the muddy waters. And that's not all. You know, the people knock against coconut shells to communicate. Aiyappa, how in the world will we get anything done?" Manik's face is scrunched up into concentration as he soaks in all my words. Unable to control myself any longer, I burst out laughing. Manik purses his lips, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Haha, very funny," he says in a bored tone. "Is this your bag too?" He asks, nodding his chin towards the second duffel bag near my legs. I nod, causing him to pick it up and place it inside the compartment too. 

"If the two of you are on this bus, then I suggest you get on right now. We're setting off," the bus conductor says, as he shuts the compartment. 

"Do you have a ticket for me?" Manik asks, his tone flat, as if he doesn't expect the answer to be a yes. 

"Of course." I fish for the tickets in my bag and hand Manik his. 

"Now what seat number is this?" Manik mumbles, heading for the entrance of the bus. I grab hold of the back of his collar, stopping him. 

"Where do you think you're headed?" I question, jerking my chin towards the roof of the bus. "Remember how I love open double-deck buses? Yeah, that rule applies for here as well." Manik looks up at the open roof, shaking his head vigorously.

"You're insane." He says nervously, his index finger shaking from between the bus's roof to my chest and then back towards the vehicle. "That's not even a properly constructed part of the bus. It's fucking open on all sides."

"Why do you think it's fun?" I turn around and make my way towards the ladder that leads to the roof of the bus. "Since you're not joining me I guess I'll get groped and ogled on the way. But oh well," I sigh dramatically. "That's my problem."

Through the corner of my eye, I watch as Manik contemplates whether to seat himself in the comforts of the bus, or follow me up. 

"How long's the journey for?" He calls out from behind me.

"I don't know, Manik." I say, reaching the top. "I mean, it just depends on traffic, road blockage, bathroom stops. You know, the usual." 

"No, I don't know the usual," Manik says, following me. "Because this isn't my usual. I don't go to places that don't have an air-conditioner, and yet I'm going. I don't eat food that isn't packaged and labelled, with an A grade certificate from the hygiene department, and I'm sure that's not what I will get at this village, and yet I will eat it. Neither do I travel in public modes of transport, like buses, and yet I'm here."

Sighing, I get comfortable in my chosen spot. Aiyappa, this is going to be one long journey because of the drama queen I've brought along. 

A/N: All of your comments on the past few chapters have brightened up my mood so much so that I've decided to thank ya'll by this double update! Please do keep voting, commenting, and supporting me because trust me, only that creates these chapters. I hope ya'll are as excited about this village track as I am. Can't wait for you lovely readers to see what I have in mind for our beautiful MaNan. Take care and stay safe xx