Game Changer

"So you race illegally?" I ask Manik nervously. Ever since this man has told me about his night racing hobby, I'm experiencing a highly uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. In fact, I am so terribly disturbed that I even forgot to change my bathroom slippers, until Manik pointed this out to me as I was about to get into the car.

"Yeah, but the cops have only showed up a handful of times." Manik says, as if that's any reassurance for my weak soul. Rubbing my palms together, I try to calm myself. All will be well. I trust Manik. He won't take me to a place that will cause me any harm. However, I am confident in the fact that he is fully capable of putting his own life in danger, considering the careless streak in him. 

"You're done today," Manik growls.

"Let him go, Manik."

I shut my eyes, forcing myself to sink deeper into this memory. 

"I love you so fucking much for being alright." Manik whispers, kissing the top of my head. 

I gasp, my eyes flying open. Eyes wide, I turn in my seat to face Manik. Surely my useless brain is deceiving me. Why in the world would this man say those three precious words to me? However, they echoed so clearly in my head. It almost felt as if I could reach out and touch them, thereby feeling the proof of their existence. 

Manik seems to be in a world of his own today, as he doesn't even seem to notice my odd behaviour. Truth be told, my friend's conduct is not normal either. He's been grinning from ear to ear for the entirety of this ride, and even now, as he brings the car to a halt, the man simply cannot seem to wipe this expression off his face. 

"We're here," Manik announces, excitedly throwing open his car door.

I stare at the huge expanse in front of me, which is littered with all shapes, sizes, and colours of sports cars. One thing, however, that they all have in common, is that these cars yell, "Money!" I have come here before. There's absolutely no doubt about it. Eagerly, I get out of the car. As the soles of my feet make contact with the ground, the feeling of unease further solidifies in my stomach. I may have come here before, but one thing's for sure, I am a complete misfit amongst this crowd.

"Manik, I want to go home." 

"Angel, breathe."  I shut my eyes, allowing my friend's voice to consume me from the inside out. "We're all misfits. Everyone gathered here is someone who doesn't fit in with the norm."

"Manik?" A man calls out, drawing me back to the present.

"Cabir!" Manik exclaims excitedly, practically hopping on the balls of his feet. What energy drink did this man consume? "This is Angel." I smile at Cabir, as he extends his hand towards me. I've seen him before at the restaurant with Manik.

"Nandini," I correct, pouting at my friend. Although, I act displeased about Manik practically changing my name to the nickname he's given me, I can't ignore the fuzzy feeling that spreads through my stomach whenever he refers to me in this fond manner.

"Manik's giving out nicknames now, huh?" In a swift motion, Cabir drops down on one knee in front of me, my hand still in his. "Who are you, Mighty Queen? And what have you done to my friend?" A grin spreads across my face, as I enjoy Cabir's antics. 

"Manik, the unpunctual pain in my arse." A man says, joining our trio and interrupting us without seeming too bothered about doing so. "Are we racing, or are we racing tonight? Make me some money, man." Grinning, Manik offers the man a pat on the back. 

"I was about to come over and say the exact same thing to you." Manik says, walking backwards towards his car. "Oh, and by the way, I'm in the mood to make it rain tonight." A confident smirk tugs at the corner of my Devil's lips. I gasp, surprised.

"M-Manik," I whisper. "My Devil..." Pouting, I shake my head. My Devil? What? How...

"Angel," Manik says, coming over to me. "I have a race to begin now, but Cabir will keep you company." With a nod of understanding, Manik pats his friend on the back and holds his gaze for a few seconds. I can tell they are having a silent conversation. As Manik turns around to head towards his car, I call out his name, causing him to face me once again.

"Good luck," I call out, trying my level best to plaster a genuine looking smile on my face, regardless of all the gears that are currently causing a frenzy in my head. Manik smiles at me reassuringly, as if tonight, even the winds are in his favour. 

For some reason, I find my feet carrying me towards Manik on their own volition. Before I can so much as make sense of my actions, I find my arms wound tight around him.  

"Be safe, Manik," I whisper. "You're my ride home." Although it's a weak attempt at a joke, Manik laughs nonetheless. 

"You said these exact words to me the last time around, too." He says, his breath fanning the skin of my ear. Before I can ask Manik what he means, he has already turned around and gotten into his car.

*****

Cabir guides me to what he deems is a good location for watching the race. As we're walking, I suddenly stop. Manik called me, "Angel," and I didn't react to it. On the contrary, it felt so natural to me. I glance around myself, as if answers lie close-by. However, they're just out of arm's reach.

"What're you doing here?" I gasp, jumping in place. Sushant has appeared beside me, his face portraying surprise and...disappointment, is it?

"Sushant, back the hell away." Cabir warns my ex, nearing me protectively.

"And here comes Manik's loyal pup." Sushant rolls his eyes, watching Cabir with utter distaste. Although, Sushant and Manik claim to be friends, their actions sing a completely different tune. Perhaps they aren't. Another light bulb switches on in my head. By now I should've learnt my lesson to never listen to this stupid light. However, I'm not one to learn from making mistakes once.

"Cabir, why don't you tell me where I should meet you. I wish to talk to Sushant about something." Cabir stares at me unsurely, almost as if I've announced that I am willingly walking into hell's fires.

"Manik won't like it," he says, his expression portraying pure panic.

"Then we won't tell him," I say simply. "Please...I'll make it quick. I promise," I plead, adorning the most innocent expression that I can muster. Cabir looks like he wants to argue, but then decides against it.

"Goddammit, fine! Something tells me I'll regret this shortly." Pointing to the left, Cabir shows me a Jeep. "That's our ride - the Jeep. Come there once you're done with this shit-show." Threateningly, Cabir takes a step closer to Sushant. "Don't you dare touch a hair on Nandini's head. I'll be watching." So much concern for someone he's just met...I don't think so.

"I'll be fine and thanks." I say, smiling at my new friend gratefully. He might just have allowed me an opportunity of a lifetime, to retrieve my past.

"Sushant," I say, adorning a grave expression. "Let's sit down for this."

"I'm so glad you're willing to talk," he says, truly sounding relieved. "About us."

"There never was an us." I say, as we lower ourselves to the ground. I cast my gaze away from Sushant, scared that he will see the fear in them; fear that comes with the mere thought of lying. Especially when I'm planning on uttering such a huge lie - more like an arrow in the dark.

"What do you - "

"Manik told me everything," I interrupt him. "M-My memory's coming back as well." A loud gasp escapes Sushant's lips.

"He...He told you everything?" Sushant repeats, even though I'm sure he heard me just fine in the first go. I nod my head.

"Right from the beginning," I add.

"N-Nandini...and you're okay with accepting him again?" Sushant sounds shattered. "Even after all the time we've spent together?" By now there's no doubt about the fact that Manik is an imperative part of my past. I nod once more.

"Yeah, and why wouldn't I?" This isn't a rhetorical question. I genuinely wish to seek the answer.

"I agree, why wouldn't you, considering he's your husband." All the breath has been knocked out of me. Husband? Manik's my husband?