Dare To Defy

A/N: That's the first song Manik sang. I'll post the link of the second one in the upcoming chapter. Happy reading xx

Somehow I manage to look past the fog of surprise in my head and get off the chair before Manik's eyes land on me. Something tells me he won't enjoy singing, or putting on this show if he knows I'm here. And I don't want to ruin such a special occasion for the children.

The entire crowd is swaying their arms to the music, their eyes solely focused on him. I can see the effect he's having on these people and no ordinary singer could do so, and that too so early on in the song. Manik has a gift. 

Why didn't he tell me about this before? There's so much left unseen about him. Manik should consider a serious career in the music industry because it's clear that this man could make millions from his talent. 

"When the sharpest words wanna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out." Manik belts out the lyrics with a passion like no else. It's as if he's feeling each word, as if he's undergone all this pain, and that this song was made for him to recover.

I shut my eyes and allow his voice to transport me to another world. One in which his voice is the only sound that exists other than my gentle breathing. I will think about the fresh set of questions that are plaguing my mind later, but for now, I want to simply enjoy Manik's voice.  

Before I know it the song's over. My eyes fly open, my heart demanding for more from Manik. 

"Aarav, you can't just give us one song and stop. That's unfair," a child's whiny voice rings out across the hall. I smile, agreeing with her words. 

"Give us more," I yell, trying my level best to mask my voice with a heavier tone. "Give us more!" The children around me pick up quickly on the chant and these three words begin floating across the room. 

"Okay, okay," Manik says, the voices dying out. "What do ya'll want to hear next?" I can hear a smile in his voice. He is enjoying this so much. 

I'm grinning so hard that my cheek muscles have now begun to ache. This is a completely different side of Manik that I bet no one's seen before. He's such a charming, interactive, friendly person amongst this crowd. To top it off, he's not standing in between adults. No, he's handling children. I never thought a man like himself could do so. 

"My next song choice is a romantic one, which many of you might not take a liking towards. But...it's a song I hold very close to my heart," Manik says. "It describes a love story that men like me experience. Ones that don't end happily." 

My husband's voice trails off into one of sadness towards the end. My heart tightens. What kind of a song is this that it effects Manik so deeply? He begins to strum the guitar. Oh, how badly I wish to box this sound and play it on repeat for days on end. 

"You only know what I want you to," Manik begins to sing. I shut my eyes once more and allow myself to get lost in the world where only his music exists. "I don't love you, but I always will. I always will," he wraps up the song, a chorus of applause breaking free. 

The crowd begins to disperse towards the stage, as all the children rush to converse with him. Hurriedly, I make my way out of the orphanage and back into the old age shelter. Manik should not see me. I don't want to ruin this day for him, or the children. 

"Nandini!" Farah calls from behind me, causing me to stop in my tracks. "I'm so glad you've come on the same day as Aarav for once. Come, meet him." 

"Oh, I-I have to go." I say, my eyes flicking towards the wall clock. "I'm getting late and...someone's waiting for me at home." I wish

"That's too bad," she glances over her shoulder towards the orphanage. "I really wish you could've met him. The insides of these houses only see both of your faces from the outside world." 

"Oh, and you're all aliens?" I joke, smiling. "By the way, Farah, who is this Aarav fellow? I mean, I've never seen him around before." 

"The thing is that you usually come on weekends and he's always here on weekdays. I believe that's why you both never bumped into each other," Farah explains. "But he's been coming here since this place opened up, I bet." 

"Oh," I murmur. "That long, huh?" Biding Farah goodbye, I head out of the shelter and towards the main road. 

I don't quite understand as to why Manik keeps this side of himself veiled from the world. This isn't an evil deed, or an act of treason that he should do it behind the limelight. In fact, this isn't even humbleness. It's something else altogether. Fear to show the world that he's not the Devil they think him to be? No, that can't be it. Why would someone want that? 

Who needs puzzles when they have a Manik Malhotra in their life? 

*****

Having paid the rickshaw driver, I make my way through the gates and into the compound of Manik's house. 

As I make my way towards the front door, I hear the sound of a car from behind me. Stopping, I turn around, bright white lights blinding me. 

Reflexively, I shield my eyes with the back of my right hand. Through squinted eyes, I watch as the lights dim down a bit, Manik's face coming into view through the windshield. He revs the engine, his eyes firmly set on me.

My heart leaps into my throat as I realize his intention. Oh, he wouldn't. I stand rooted to my spot, as Manik continues to rev the engine. His eyes are challenging me to back up, and flee into the safe confines of the house. Manik, however, doesn't know who he's dealing with. 

I match his challenging stare, silently daring him to bring the car forwards - towards me. Manik's knuckles tighten over the leather covering of the steering wheel, as he floors the gas pedal, the car tearing across the compound, heading straight for me.

For a second my toes curl in my shoes. However, I stand my ground. Backing down now is not an option. If this car hits my front at this speed, I will surely not survive to tell the tale. I should be more afraid and ready to flee, but my gut feeling is saying that the man behind the wheel isn't capable of murder.

As the BMW draws toward me like a magnet, I start doubting my gut, but I ensure that Manik cannot see this doubt. He must see a composed, fearless woman, not someone who is easily intimidated by him. The Devil should believe that I'm not afraid of him. 

Manik, on the other hand, isn't as good of an actor as he thinks he is. A flicker of doubt flashes across his features when he realizes that I'm not fleeing. His face gets closer, and so does the bumper of the car. Closer. A few feet of distance left between the body of the car and mine. Closer still.

The lights switch off, the engine shutting down. Manik's back is pressed against the back of the seat, his arms stretched out towards the wheel, his fingers tightly grasping it. The bumper of the car is mere centimeters away from my stomach. A little more and my insides would be splattered across the ground.

I raise an eyebrow at Manik, a small smile adorning my lips. The strong stench of burnt rubber invades my nostrils. I bet Manik will have to replace these tires because of the abuse they've just endured. Shaking my head slowly, I turn around, toss my bag over my shoulder and head towards the front door.