An Ugly End

"I'm thirsty!" I say over the loud music, as Manik steps away from me. "And I have exhausted my list of places to visit, so I guess we can head home after I get a drink." 

"No, we won't go home just yet," Manik says, taking my right hand in his. "There's someplace I want to take you, and you can get yourself something to quench your thirst from there as well." He tugs at my hand, turning around. Manik guides me through the crowd and back towards the entrance. We exit the club, Manik glancing over sternly at the bouncer who had ogled me. The man casts his gaze back down towards the ground, making me smile. 

It's nothing out of the blue that the bouncer shamelessly looked at me in that manner because I'm sure he does it all the time to the women here. That of course doesn't make it right and I absolutely love the way Manik intimidated him for his wrongdoings. 

When I'm with the Devil, I feel completely at ease. I have full faith in the fact that Manik will never let any harm come to me - be it through someone's words, or actions. Aiyappa, to think I have such blind faith in this man when once I doubted his every move. 

"Manik, the car's that way." I say, realizing he's headed in the other direction. 

"We won't need it," he says, pulling me to his side, so that we're walking shoulder to shoulder. "The stall's not far from here, we can go by foot. Unless you're tired, of course, then I can get the car." I shake my head.

"No, walking's fine, but where are we going?" Manik offers me a quick side glance, smiling secretively. 

"You'll see." I'm bouncing on the balls of my feet with excitement. It feels good to know that Manik has someplace in mind to take me to. We turn around the bend of the street and Manik points towards a coconut stall. 

"I often come here after going to the club," he explains. He swings our hands back and forth. I watch the movements, biting down on my lower lip to suppress a mad grin from breaking out. "The fresh coconut water serves as a good sobering agent and I enjoy the quiet after that blaring music. You know, that stall is positioned at the exact place where the club's music stops reaching one's ears." 

"So is this another place like the tracks, where you've brought no other friend?" I ask, hope obvious in my tone.

"Stop giving yourself so much damn credit," Manik snaps. Whenever he doesn't answer me directly, I can tell that the answer is yes. "That's my bench." He nods towards a poorly painted, two seater bench that's facing the stall. "Sit and I'll get the drinks." 

I drum my fingers against the wood as I wait for Manik's return. I have to also discuss something with him, which I completely forgot about in the on-goings of tonight.

"Here," Manik says, handing me a coconut with a straw poked into its top. 

"Thanks," I say, taking it from him. He lowers himself onto the empty spot beside me and takes a sip. 

"It feels good." I turn my head towards Manik questioningly. 

"What?" I ask. 

"To be here with someone. I'm always here alone - on this darkened road, sitting with just that lamppost to give me company. I'm glad you're here tonight with me." 

"Thanks for bringing me," I say, genuinely meaning it. I cherish every little sneak peak, every chapter that Manik allows me to read about his life. If only he knew how much they meant to me. "Manik, I need to tell you something." 

"Go ahead," he says. 

"I work with a lot of NGEOs and other institutes like the shelter homes," I begin. "It's come under our recent knowledge that there has been flooding in a lot of villages due to the monsoon season." 

"Oh, so you want donations?" Manik asks. "Sure, just tell me the amount and I'll write out a cheque." 

"That's not it, Manik. We have the funds, and the equipment, like food and medications. What we lack is people to go to those villages and hand over the necessary items. In fact, the villagers aren't that educated either, so we need to also teach them how to correctly administer vaccines, or do it ourselves." I explain. "And so I have volunteered to go to a village as well, and I'm leaving tomorrow." 

"No fucking way!" Manik hisses, slamming his coconut down onto the bench between us. "Are you telling me that you want to go to an unconditioned house, with mosquitoes sucking at every inch of your bare skin, eating unhygienic food?" I roll my eyes. 

"Stop talking like such a spoilt rich brat," I say. "And yes, I'm okay with that if it means helping people in need. Manik, if we won't help our fellow citizens then who will?" 

"Yeah, well...They can send someone else. Why do you have to go?" Manik whines. "Who's going to make me food?" I raise my eyebrows, smiling. 

"As if you eat that food." I say, feigning innocence. "Because, like I told you, they're short on volunteers." 

"I was planning on taking you to the tracks," Manik says. "How will I do so if you're not even here because you're rotting in a leaking roofed house?"

"You were planning no such thing, and yes, the roofs are leaking, that's why we need to go and mend them." My eyes widen as an idea strikes me. "In fact, you know what? If you're so desperate for my company, then why don't you come with? I mean, four hands will work better than two."

"You're fucking insane," Manik shakes his head adamantly. "There's no way in hell I will come to a village, and stay there." 

"It's only going to be for two weeks, or even less than that, depending on the situation." I place my coconut down as well, and place my hand on Manik's shoulder. I squeeze it, silently pleading him with my eyes. "Please come with me." I tilt my head to the side, jutting out my lower lip.

"No," he says sternly. "Not happening." 

"Oh, come on," I place my chin on his shoulder. "Please. For me." 

"No," he shakes his head. "I'm not going to go and I suggest you don't either." 

"I'm going whether you come or not, but I would highly like it if you do." I say, as Manik stands up, the coconut falling onto the ground. 

"I'm going to the car, you can come whenever you're done planning such bizarre shit." Manik stalks off towards the direction we came from. I place my face in my palms, letting out a huff of frustration. Everything was going so well, but of course our happiness cannot last for a long time. However, not bringing this up tonight was not option. Manik may not consider himself answerable to me, but I do feel the need to inform him about such plans. After all, we are a married couple. 

*****

The click of the front door echoes around the quiet house. The two of us have also been engulfed in silence for the entirety of the ride back home. Manik chucks his keys onto the console beside the door and bounds up the stairs. 

"Manik?" I call out, making him stop. "I'll be waiting tomorrow at the bus station. If you happen to change your mind, please be there by twelve." Without saying a word, he continues to make his way upstairs, my words falling on deaf ears.

He won't come, I know it. Why do I even allow my hopes to rise up when I know they'll only come crashing down?