Unfortunate Times

"On what grounds?" Manik asks as he makes his way down the stairs with great care. Does everything have to go awry today? The only times I've been in arm's length with a policeman is when he's standing in the middle of an intersection, navigating the traffic. Therefore, to have two policemen standing at the threshold of my home is quite intimidating. My stomach is tied up in knots and my brain has suddenly stopped processing information. 

"Ms. Murthy has accused you of sexually assaulting her." One of the policeman replies, watching Manik like a hawk. I notice his hand is now resting on his gun. Oh, he's expecting my husband to attempt an escape. The accusation, however, has my world sliding out from underneath my feet. It feels as if history is repeating itself, when Rebecca wrongfully blamed Manik for the very same reason. At once, my eyes fly towards him. To hurriedly prove my innocence, I begin to shake my head, eyes wide. 

"I-I never," I stutter. There's no way in the world that I would accuse Manik of something so low. After all, he is my husband and I am well aware of the fact that he will never touch me - or any other woman - against her will. Orbs full of trust, Manik gives me a slight nod. Although this gesture should bring me relief, it does nothing, whatsoever, to calm my nerves.

"Ms. Murthy?" Manik repeats, now looking at the cop who made such an outlandish statement. "Ms. Nandini Murthy is standing right in front of you. As you can see, she's perfectly alright." The man shakes his head, his face stone cold. I'm sure in his eyes Manik is at fault, thereby rendering him an emotionless, worthless man, who is not worthy of anyone's pity, or help.

"Ms. Alya Murthy," he corrects, crossing the threshold of our home. "It would work out in your benefit if you cooperate and come with us to the station willingly. Otherwise, other methods can be put to good use." So as to ensure my husband comprehends his words, he unbuttons the casing of his gun; the click resonating around the now confining walls.

Pursing his lips, Manik nods his head and continues to make his way down the staircase. Arguing or fighting against the will of these policemen won't be a wise decision, and I can tell Manik realises this as well. It's okay, though. They can transport him to the station, which will of course be a waste of time, for once Manik gives his statement, everything will be cleared out. 

As Manik nears me, he cups my face in his palms, staring at me with a neutral expression. A person who doesn't know my husband would think that he's absolutely calm and composed. However, I can see the slight tinge of worry in his eyes. With great effort, Manik manages to tug his lips upwards in a reassuring smile. Of course he doesn't wish for me to get worked up any more than I already am. Therefore, regardless of his inner emotions, he will put on a picture perfect facade for me.

"Call Eva." Manik says, his thumbs brushing back and forth across my cheeks. "Tell her whatever happened here, and she'll handle the rest." I nod my head.

"I-I'll just grab my bag and follow you." I say, pressing my palms against the back of Manik's hands. 

"Don't waste your time by coming." Shutting his eyes, Manik brings his lips towards my forehead. His kiss lingers on for longer than it should. One of the policemen clears his throat, clearly uncomfortable with this prolonged show of affection. "I'll be back home for dinner." My husband says, stepping away from me. "Make me something delicious." 

"Don't I always?" I joke, managing to keep my voice from cracking. If Manik can put on a veil and show me what he wishes to, then so can I. 

"I love you." Manik mouths, before he pivots on his heels and heads towards the front door, where the policemen are impatiently waiting for him. Before exiting, however, my husband turns around and offers me a long glance. With plans for a romantic dinner in mind with my husband, I manage to let a grin spread across my face.