Tracks Once More

"Calm your shit, man!" Rishabh's voice enters my ears. My eyes fly open as I take in the scene in front of me. My brother is standing in front of Alya, acting as her shield, his palms splayed across Manik's chest. The latter slams his chest against Rishabh, making him stumble a few steps backwards. Regardless, my brother holds his stance, refusing to get intimidated by the enraged Devil.

"You can say whatever the fuck you want about me." Manik says, his index finger threateningly pointed towards Alya's face. "But don't so much as dare to let out a whisper about Angel. She doesn't deserve to be shit-talked about. Do you understand me?" Alya is watching Manik over our brother's shoulder like the coward she is. Her eyes are portraying pure fear, not a single glint of maliciousness sparkling in them anymore.

"Do you fucking understand me?" Manik's voice booms across the corners of our compound. 

"Calm down," Rishabh repeats. "Breathe." I'm truly surprised my husband hasn't knocked Rishabh aside like a plastic bottle and charged at Alya. 

"Manik," I say, jogging towards him. "Let's go." I loop my arm through his, tugging him backwards. However, the muscular Devil doesn't budge an inch. "Manik," I call out his name once more. "Don't waste your time." 

"No, Nandini, let him be." Alya says, making me let out a sigh of frustration. Is she dumb? Does she not understand she's inciting an already enraged bull? "Manik knows I'm speaking the truth, and so of course my words will hurt. His anger's justified." 

"Alya, just shut up." Rishabh says through gritted teeth. "There's nothing in your upper chamber, is there?"

"Risha - " 

"Not a word from you!" My brother yells. Alya's lips form a tight seam as she rolls her eyes.

"Manik, come on." I tug at his arm a few more times insistently. Finally, my husband gives in to my efforts, allowing me to drag him away from what could potentially turn into a site of murder if he lingers for even a second longer.

"I don't hit women!" Manik exclaims at once, as we reach the driveway. "But that bitch isn't a fucking woman. She doesn't have a heart, she doesn't own an ounce of compassion in her, and neither does she deserve such pure feelings. You both shouldn't have stopped me." He turns around and looks at me accusingly. "If Alya gets taught a lesson once, then she'll remember it for life." 

"Manik, don't dirty yourself with wrongful actions because of her. You're better than this," I say. "Please don't let her drive you to such an extent that you're stooping as low as her. That'll just mean she won." 

"Fucking psycho!" Manik curses, throwing his arms in the air. He turns around, tugging at the ends of his hair. I can hear Rishabh yelling at Alya in the far distance, and of course she's equally loud, instead of retreating in shame. The woman truly doesn't understand the concept of limits. 

"Angel." Manik says, coming towards me. He cups my face in his palms, staring intently into my eyes. "You will not take even a letter of her words to heart. We're both aware that she was spewing utter shit, right?" I blink, unsure of what I should say to my husband. The truth is, Alya has managed to hit my weak spot. However, I fear that telling him this will egg him on even further. 

"Y-Yeah, of course," I say, smiling. "I mean, why would I? You're right, her words are utterly useless." 

"We're good?" Manik raises his eyebrows expectantly. For a second, I want to tell him the truth, but instead I find myself nodding.

"A hundred percent," I reply. His lips find the center of my forehead, leaving a light peck on it. 

"I need to get out of here for a while." Manik says, jerking his thumb over his shoulder. "Is that okay? Obviously I can stay if you want." I shake my head. 

"Go ahead," I encourage. "I'll be fine." Truth be told, I need some time to sort through Alya's words and share a moment with just myself. Manik isn't the only one who requires space. 

*****

"What would you say if I come and pick you up in thirty minutes?" Manik asks over the phone,  as I move around the room, collecting dirty clothes off the floor and furniture.

"I'd say depends," I say, balancing the phone between my shoulder and cheek.

"On what?" 

"Where we'll go." I huff, my arms overflowing with Manik's shirts and pants. Can't this man learn to live decently? 

"That's simple, the tracks." Manik replies as if this is no big deal. My actions halt at once, as I freeze in the center of the room. 

"Manik, no," I say sternly. "You know what happened the last time you went."

"Oh please, I went a bunch of times after the accident, and nothing happened. Just because I lost control of my vehicle once doesn't mean it'll happen repeatedly," Manik defends himself. "It'll be like a date night, Angel. And the group is dying to meet you again. Please don't refuse." 

"I don't know, Manik. That place doesn't sit well with me," I argue.

"Please, Angel. For me," Manik whines, my heart melting like butter under the sun. Letting out a defeated sigh, I chuck the collected clothes towards the sofa.

"Fine, I'll come." I concede, heading towards the cupboard.

"Perfect! Your twenty-five minutes start now," Manik says excitedly.

"I thought I had half an hour." 

"You kind of lost five minutes arguing with me, so chop chop. See you, Angel." Manik ends the call, leaving me alone with my thoughts; a dangerous place to be after the events of today. 

My gaze flits across the colorful assortment of clothes that are hanging in my closet. For some reason, today none seem appealing enough to adorn. Last time I was pathetically dressed when we visited the tracks, but this time I wish to go better prepared. Unfortunately even the Western clothing that I have is not suitable enough for that place's environment.

As much as I hate to admit it, Alya's right, my dressing sense isn't one that will keep Manik's gaze from wandering elsewhere. I wear clothes which bare minimum to no skin, and he's a man who wouldn't normally be interested in someone like that. In fact, I bet that if we met at a party, he'd not once approach me for a dance, or to get acquainted with me. I want Manik's mouth to fall open when he sees me decked up and for him to be proud to show me off to his friends. Alas, my current state is not one which warrants such behavior from him. I'm sure he doesn't say anything to me because he's afraid of offending me. After all, how does one tell their wife that she's looking like a woman during a pilgrimage twenty-four seven. 

Yeah, I need to up my game and render Manik speechless.