Green Devil

A/N: Double update!!! Happy reading xx

Manik's POV

The second we step out into the world of humans and sunlight, I sink down onto the ground. A shiver runs down my spine, causing me to shudder. A creeping sensation climbs around my shoulder, making me jerk my head to the side, swatting at whatever's on my shoulder.

"Manik, Manik," Angel says, seating herself in front of me. She takes my face in her hands, making me look at her forcefully. "We're out now. Breathe. There's nothing on you, near you or following you." I nod. Angel lets go of my face and stands up.

In. Out. In. Out. I don't even understand as to why I'm behaving in this childish manner. Ghosts aren't real and neither were those in there. It was all just a bunch of shitty images, humans acting like clowns and darkness. What's so scary in that? The image of the haunted bride enters my head once more, causing another shudder to shake my body. 

Squinting against the sunlight, I look up at Angel, who is casually standing in front of me, tapping her foot as if we didn't just undergo one heart attack after another.

"How the fuck are you so unaffected?" I ask, standing up. She shrugs her shoulders, looking bored.

"That was a disappointment," she replies simply. Is she putting on a show, or is she genuinely not shaken to her very toes? "I mean, everything looked so fake, and it was actually all just a bunch of people uselessly jumping out at you. I think they confused the surprise and fear factor." Oh, I was scared alright. They did a fine job in there.

"So you're saying that children actually go in there? And walk through the entire house?" I ask, pointing at the door behind me over my shoulder. I don't even wish to turn around and see that place again. Angel nods.

"Of course, Manik." Her tone makes it seem like she thinks I'm highly dumb. "The fair comes to town for the children and not for scared cats, like yourself." Angel smiles at me teasingly, making me scowl.

"Point out one child from the shelter who went through that shit-show and didn't come out crying and then I'll believe you." I challenge, mentally planning to sue the makers of this haunted house. One could really die in there. 

"Okay," she agrees. "But what do I get in return if I win?" I sigh. Why does she have to make everything so damn childish? Who the fuck bets on something this petty?

"Whatever you want," I say nonetheless. "But what if I win?" 

"Your wish is my command." Angel pinches the sides of the long skirt she's wearing between her her thumb and index fingers, and does a courtesy for me. I shake my head in disbelief at this woman's antics. She is such a child. 

"I'm getting water for myself," I say, glancing around the place for a food cart. "Do you want something?" 

"No, I'm good, thanks." Angel says, pointing towards the gazebo, in which I'd rather be napping instead of venturing into a bloody haunted house. "I'll be waiting there for you."

"And who says I want to sit in your company?" I ask. "Go and find a seesaw for yourself." 

"You'll come," she says with confidence, turning around and heading towards the gazebo. What makes her so damn sure? Truth be told, though, I can see myself going to her after getting what I want. 

Lord, what is it about her? I try so hard to steer clear, while she just draws closer and closer to me like a magnet, and then there comes a point where I turn into a magnet. Don't forget what she did to you. I chant mentally, as I make my way towards a food cart. As I near it, my eyes land on familiar heads standing to order. 

"Hungry already?" I ask, as I pass my hand over Piyali's head. 

"Yeah!" She says excitedly, as if I've told her she's won the jackpot. "And they have these stick like things, called churros. We've never tried them before, so we're getting those." 

"You've not paid, right?" Piyali shakes her head, sighing dramatically.

"We would've, but Madam is taking forever in choosing which combo she wants." She dramatically rolls her eyes, throwing her head back. 

"Save some space for lunch," I say, as Nikita chooses a meal. "And don't worry about the money, I'll pay." 

"Thank you, Aarav!" Piyali wraps me in a short, but tight embrace. I grin, this one gesture making me want to buy them the entire cart of food. Maybe ten meals would mean ten hugs. 

Once I've paid for their order and my bottle of water, I turn around to head towards the gazebo. But through the corner of my eye, I can see the cotton candy cart. The image of Angel's lit up eyes enters my head. 

"Should I?" I murmur, one foot tilted towards the cart. Don't forget what she did to you. But it's just one cotton candy. What's the harm in getting it for her? My feet turn in the direction of the stall as if they have a mind of their own. 

Once I've got the cotton candy for her, I hide it behind my back. Surprising Angel will be fun. I'm sure her face will light up like a Christmas tree at the sight of this pink floss. As the gazebo comes into sight all intentions of play evaporate. 

Angel is seated beside the man who helped me up in the haunted house, laughing along with him about something. This doesn't irk me as much as their close proximity does. Heck, there isn't even enough space for oxygen to pass in between their bodies. My hand tightens around the water bottle in hand, the plastic crushing in my iron grip.

His hand is resting behind her, their shoulders brushing against each other, as he engages her in lively conversation. My head cocks to the side, as I watch Angel laugh as if she doesn't have a care in the world. Why doesn't such a grin adorn her lips when she's with me? The more I watch them, the more I find myself wishing to be in the shoes of that man. He's able to carry such an easily flowing conversation with her. I want to do that. He's making her laugh, not wince in pain. I wish to do that. 

What is this burning feeling? It's not a good one, that's for sure. Jealousy? No, that can't be. Am I jealous of him? Because of the way Angel is behaving with him. Oh please, definitely not. I scoff at my own foolish thoughts, a frown settling itself on my lips. Am I...jealous?