Taste Testing

"Manik, beta!" Chachi calls, as I forcefully manage to tear my eyes away from Alya and Manik. "Bring your Chacha and come. The table's all set." 

"On our way, Chachi!" Manik calls back. I'm parking the trolley in one corner of the room as Manik steps in with Alya trailing behind. She takes hold of Manik's left hand, pulling him towards the other side of the dining table. I frown, glaring at the intimate contact their skin is making. Okay, it might not be that intimate. However, for an ex-couple it definitely reaches the height of intimacy in my books.

"Manik, let's sit here together." Alya says, nodding her head towards a chair. "Like we used to." Like we used to, excuse me? My dear cousin needs to wake up from the past and start living in the present, one which doesn't comprise of Manik and her as a couple. Through the corner of my eye, I notice Chachi's gaze fly over to me. Even a five year old in the room would be able to point out her inappropriate behavior, but of course Alya doesn't realize this.

Manik's eyes land on mine, his lips forming a tight line. I meet his gaze head on with a blank expression. I wish to see what his next step will be, without me leading him on in any way by showing my disapproval, or approval. 

"Actually," Manik says, removing his hand from Alya's grasp. "I rather sit with my wife." His black orbs never once leave mine as he speaks. My husband's hands land on the backs of the two chairs Alya had so nicely picked out for them. "Angel and I will sit here. You can find another place at the table I'm sure." 

I can't deny that I'm taken aback by Manik's words. I had cooked up a million answers of his in my head, and this was most certainly not one of them. Not even by a mile. Manik gives me an assured smile, as he pulls back a chair and seats himself.

"Come, Angel." He says, patting the empty seat beside him. I nod, smiling in return. This man never fails to surprise me. I make contact with Alya's eyes, the triumphant smile still lining my lips. 

"Change is always good, Alya," I say. "Maybe you'd like to sit next to your mother for once, or maybe your dad." Her eyes stay glued to mine. I can tell she's cooking up a storm in her head, wondering if this is a war she will win. Unfortunately for her, she lost this one back when Manik's worth was miscalculated by her, which in return caused her to give him up.

Chachi clears her throat, the tension in the room palpable. 

"Manik, we have a game for you." She says, clapping her hands together. I am feeling relieved because of Manik's reaction, but I still don't wish to play this game anymore. I mean, what if he gets it wrong? It'll be an embarrassment in front of Alya, and I can already imagine the smug smile she'll adorn on her pancaked face when that'll happen. I try my best to catch Manik's eye, so that I can tell him to say no. Alas, my idiotic husband nods eagerly, encouraging Chachi to further elaborate.

"Most of the dishes on this table have been made by me," Chachi continues. "But some have also been made by your wonderful wife." Chacha walks into the dining room right at this moment. Silently, he takes a seat at the head of the table, tuning into his wife's words as well. "The aim of this game is for you to try all of the dishes, and decide which have been made by Nandu. I'm sure after all these weeks of marriage you're used to her handmade meals." 

"Let's do this!" Manik exclaims excitedly, rubbing his palms together. What in the world is he so thrilled about? Aiyappa, please don't let this end miserably. Today, however, one fact is confirmed; Manik and I don't share a telepathic connection. Otherwise he would understand just how much I hate the idea of this game and drop it altogether. His eyes scan all the dishes on the table, an eager glint shining in them.

I take a step closer to the table, hoping this movement will somehow catch his eye and Manik will look my way. At least I can drop a hint somehow as to which food item has been cooked by me.