Turned Tables

Manik's POV

Angry, abnormally huge brutes I can handle. Gangs with tattoos for show and knives, I can easily tackle as well. But hyper, shrieking children, I cannot handle. I watch in dismay as the crowd of children we've brought along with us use their never shutting mouths, causing a great commotion near the ticket booth. My eyes are flying from one side to the other, ensuring that the ones who are moving away from the assembly aren't wandering off too far. 

How am I expected to deal with this mad lot? I kept telling Farah that this isn't my cup of tea, but she had to get Ma to request me, and of course I can't say no to her. Fuck you, Farah, I mentally curse, as I watch Angel strap the ticket bands onto the children's wrists. 

Lord knows how this woman is maintaining such a calm front. Surely she must be panicking on the inside, right? Or is she used to roaming around with children, since I bet she barely has any friends of her own age. After all, no one comes around the house to party or meet her. Does Angel have friends? 

"Manik, could you please open your arms and come help me?" Angel asks, as she comes over to strap a band onto my wrist. She grabs my left wrist, untangling my folded arms and ties the band around it. 

"What do you want me to do?" I ask, watching the children behind her, as a sheen of sweat breaks out across my forehead. "I-I...I can't handle these rugrats." 

"You can visit them in the shelter, but can't organize them out here?" Angel turns around to strap the band on the children who are left. But I can still feel her burning touch on my skin. 

"That's different!" I exclaim, rubbing my thumb over my wrist, as if this will help remove the ghost of her feel. "They're not as excited there and the danger of getting lost is much less." 

"Fine, if you can't man up and handle these children, then at least keep a watch on them." 

"What do you think I'm doing now?" I ask, my tone defensive. "Sarah!" I call, as I see her group of friends loitering off. "Come back here right this instant." Without a word of protest they turn around and re-join the group. I smile triumphantly. Yet another hidden talent of mine - herding children.

"Okay, all done," Angel huffs, as she straightens up. "Listen up!" She claps her hands together, catching no one's attention. A bark of laughter escapes my lips. Angel turns around to glare at me, tendrils of hair sticking to the side of her face with sweat.

"Can you do a better job?" She asks, raising her eyebrows.

"Oh, for sure," I flick my wrist. "Watch me." I position myself beside Angel. "Children!" I call out, my words falling on deaf ears. This time it's Angel's turn to laugh. "Listen up!" I yell louder this time, my voice causing even the passersby to halt and look. All the ankle-biters stop their chatter and face us at once. "And that's how it's done." I say, leaning into Angel's side, a proud smirk lining my lips.

"Now all of you have watches," Angel says. "And the address cards for the shelter, along with some money in case someone gets lost and has to get back home. Don't lose your backpacks, and please don't get lost yourselves. We will now disperse and meet here two hours from now. Please be on time otherwise we'll have to cancel the picnic plan." All the children acknowledge her words and scatter around the fair, targeting various rides.

"Could you have done that?" Angel asks, wiggling her eyebrows at me. 

"Oh please, barking out a list of instructions isn't rocket science." I roll my eyes, dismissing her pride injected words.

"So what're you going to do for the two hours? Got any ride in mind?" She asks, as I begin searching for a bench to sit on. 

"Do you honestly think that a man of my age would want to sit on such babyish rides?" Tucking my hands in my pockets, I head on over towards a gazebo. I'll plug in my headphones, put on some loud tracks and catch up on lost, much needed sleep.