Wasted Efforts

Manik's POV

"Angel, what's taking you so long?" I murmur, drumming my fingers against the steering wheel. With my free hand I press down on the horn, my leg shaking with impatience. Unable to suppress it any longer I grab my phone off the middle console and call her.

"Where in the world are you? Hyderabad?" I ask impatiently, as she answers on the fifth ring. 

"Manik, for God's sake," Angel's irritated voice enters my ear. "Have some patience." 

"Look, just come down in a bloody night-suit," I beg. "Anything under the sky will work." 

"You know I looked like a misfit last time, so now I intend on doing it right." I frown, the gears in my head working on overdrive. Earlier in the day, I got a feeling that Alya's nonsensical words broke past the confident walls of Angel's mind and affected her in some way. Now as I'm speaking to her my doubt is further strengthened.

"Everyone is a misfit there, Angel. Don't worry about a thing," I assure her. "There's a reason we visit the tracks." 

"Manik, you're a man, you won't understand." Angel chucks the perfect line my way, which of course shuts me up. What can a man say in retort to such a sentence?

"Okay, five more minutes, and then I'll leave without you." I warn, reclining my seat backwards. Five minutes means another fifteen. Lord, if this was any other person I'd have driven off long back. Without saying bye, Angel shuts the phone, going back to whatever preparations she's up to. This is the first time my wife's taking eons in getting ready and quite frankly the thought is scaring me. The woman looks so damn beautiful as it is, so I cannot even imagine what'll happen to me when she tries to outshine that beauty. 

I squeeze my eyes shut, mentally face-palming myself. Lord, the number of men I'll have to steer clear of Angel's body space. Fucking hell! This woman makes life so tough for me. My phone begins to ring, interrupting my train of thoughts. 

"Cabir, what's the news?" I ask, accepting the call.

"Um...there's good news for sure, and then there's...so-so news," Cabir says. 

"You know I hate it when people beat around the bush. Spill!" There's a short pause.

"Dhruv's not coming to the tracks tonight." Another pause. I can tell from the tone of his voice that he's not finished. "And Rebecca's coming," he blurts out hurriedly. I jerk up into a sitting position, the gears of my brain shutting down momentarily. Rebecca.

"W-What're you..." I trail off, inhaling a deep breath. "What the fuck are you talking about, Cabir? I hope you're in your right senses." 

"Manik, I don't think you should come tonight. Rebecca and you," he sighs with defeat. "It won't end well."

"No, we're coming," I say with finality. "And I'm going to try and speak with her once more."

"That's exactly why you shouldn't!" My friend exclaims. "Man, you know she won't accept your apology, or even hear a word of what you say, and then your night will go down in flames." 

There's a knock at the window. I turn my head to find Angel standing outside the car, her gaze diverted towards the floor.

"We're coming," I repeat. "Just make sure Eva's there to keep Angel company when I talk to Rebecca." Without allowing Cabir to utter another word, I end the call and unlock the car doors. Angel gets in, a huff escaping her lips as soon as she's seated.

"You're the most impatient person I've encountered in my life," she comments. Without wasting any more time by replying I press down on the gas pedal, the car tearing down the road.

"Manik, is everything okay?" Angel asks. I nod my head.

"Absolutely," I mumble distractedly. 

"Isn't something different today?" I shake my head, making a sharp left turn. "Manik! You're going to kill us." 

"C-Can we not talk right now? I'm really not in the mood. Thanks," I say, bringing the conversation to a close.

*****

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" Cabir yells, as we're getting out of the car. 

"Where is she?" I ask, a tone of urgency clouding my voice. 

"Behind," Cabir replies, hopping off the hood of his car. All signs of jest drain out of his body as he sees I mean business tonight. Through the corner of my eye I see Angel frown. I doubt she's pleased with the attitude I'm showing her. 

"Girly!" Eva hollers, appearing from the other side of the car with Aahan. "I think Manik's too possessive about you. Isn't that why we hardly see your pretty face?" She wraps Angel in a tight hug. Eva steps back, as I tug at Cabir's arm to pull him away from here. Without him at my side I know that Rebecca won't allow me to even get a word out.

"Nandini, you look different." Eva comments, drawing my attention towards the woman being discussed. I allow my eyes to do a once-over of Angel, my mouth falling open. 

"Fuck," I whisper, desire burning a hole in me. Angel's wearing a pair of black palazzos, a slit running up the front of either leg. On her upper half she has put on a white lace halter top that reaches her abdomen. The entire look has been complemented by an ankle length sleeveless white pullover. 

Angel's plush lips are further defined by stark red lipstick, her hair styled up with tight ringlets. My fingers itch at my sides, yelling at me to allow them to pass through the soft strands. Another wave of desire cascades over my body, urging me to wipe her lips clean with mine.

Cabir lets out a low whistle. 

"Oh man, keeping men away from Nandini will be twice as hard tonight," he comments. Angel's watching me with a disappointed expression. 

"Isn't something different today?" Her words echo in my head. Fuck, I'm such an idiot. I was so occupied with the thought of Rebecca that I overlooked my wife. She gives her head a light shake, tearing her upset eyes away from mine. I'll make it up to Angel right after I mend the other bridge I've burnt.