Falling Into Place

"Ma'am," Babu says, grinning, as he opens the gate for me. "It's been so long." I smile at him, the compound behind him drawing my attention towards it.

"May I come in?" I ask, my feet aching to step into my home. I'm still quite unsure about how I ended up at this particular residence, or if I'm even welcomed here. What I do know, however, is that this place was once my home. A home that I shared with my husband, Manik.

"Most certainly," Babu says, hurriedly opening the gate further to allow me entrance. As I head down the driveway, another memory hurls itself to the forefront of my brain; a recollection of the first time I challenged my faith in Manik.

I stand rooted to my spot, as Manik continues to rev the engine. His eyes are challenging me to back up, and flee into the safe confines of the house. Manik's knuckles tighten over the leather covering of the steering wheel, as he floors the gas pedal, the car tearing across the compound, heading straight for me.

The bumper of the car is mere centimeters away from my stomach. I raise an eyebrow at Manik, a small smile adorning my lips. The strong stench of burnt rubber invades my nostrils.

The soles of my feet know exactly where to take me, as they continue to carry me down the driveway and towards the front door.

"Everything about you repulses me. The mere thought of sleeping in a room next to you..."

These words no longer hurt me, for I know that Manik said them in a state of betrayal. And so they bear no truth whatsoever. In fact, I'd say my husband's actions highly contradicted his words, and actions most certainly speak louder than words.

"This woman...Nandini, is my wife and whether you like it or not, you're going to have to live with it."

That was the day I realised Manik truly respected me. Regardless of the issues he and I were facing, Manik didn't let his mother, or anyone disrespect me. Nyonika made me feel like a worthless nobody that day. However, my husband ensured that my head was held high.

As I step into the kitchen, my fingers trail across the cool countertops. This section of our home was my only source of hope during the initial days of our marriage. After all, I intended to win over Manik's heart through his stomach.

"That's the rightful place for food made by you." Manik had told me, mere seconds after emptying the food I had cooked into the dustbin. A smile breaks out across my lips. We've come so far, Manik.

I stand in the centre of the kitchen for a few more minutes, before making my way upstairs. As I enter the room Manik and I once shared, my heart begins to cause an uproar in my chest. To many, the time that he and I have spent together may seem inconsequential. However, we have shared a lifetime of memories; priceless moments that I never wish to forget again. 

The first object that draws my attention towards it, is Manik's guitar. It is leaning against the wall, missing the skilful touch of its owner's fingers.

"Your hands can heal," I whisper. "Your mouth is wine," my voice cracks. All the emotional knots inside me untangle, and I burst into tears.

"Manik," I sob, sinking to the ground. "I've been missing you for so long." He was in my heart and yet so distant from me. Pulling up my knees against my chest, I wrap my arms around them and allow my body to shake with sobs. For the past six months - six long months - I was away from my family; away from Manik. There was a time when I thought parting from them, for even a day, would be a punishment. No wonder I underwent those spells of feeling low. My heart was craving for the people I love, but my mind was on a completely different track. However, since Manik re-entered my life, I didn't undergo a single moment in which the world was weighing down on my shoulders. After all, the one I share all my burdens with was finally back in my life. How could Sushant do this to me? Sure, my mind would've been weighed down, but at least my heart would have been at ease.