Wade and the midnight kitchen flood

Why is when odd things happen it always seems to be in the early morning hours? You had woken up to use the bathroom, and saw Wade flipping around on the kitchen floor. He was chirping and squawking, just being a happy little duck, and the closer you gotta I saw why. The light from the kitchen nightlight was reflecting of the floor, rippling lightly around Wade. A weird sense of dread settled into your chest as you reached the threshold your bare feet hitting ice cold water.
    You flipped on the overhead light switch, your entire kitchen floor was covered in a layer of water. Your wide eyes scanned the floor as your half asleep brain tried to process the sight of tiny feathers floating on top the water covered floor. Water dripped lightly from the base of the fridge, making a soft sound.
    "Damn it." You sighed, your feet finally moving.
    Carefully you walked through the frigid water to the laundry room, opening the door retrieving every towel you owned. Wade paddled around to watch as you started tossing towels on the floor in front of the fridge, you opened the door to the freezer. Water cascade out, dousing you on it's descent to the floor, sucking air in sharply as your feathered friend make a beeline for the impromptu waterfall.
    The duck quaked, even louder then before, throwing his entire body under the flow and immediately began to shake like a dog, flinging water everywhere.
   "Wade!" You shrieked, trying to move out of the way, your clothes were drenched.
    You heard movement coming from the bedroom, your head snapped up as Tom started his way to you. He was already in the dining room, stepping his way into the kitchen, and hit the water before you had a chance to warn him. The poor unsuspecting man's foot hit the water and slipped, sending him the floor with a hard thud.
     "Holy hell!" He stuttered eyes snapping open as he sat on the floor, his lounge pants soaking up the cold substance.
     "Good morning." You smiled, Wade splashing over to the man on the floor.
     "Wade." He sighed as the duck crawled up onto him wetting him even further.
    Tom rose to his feet, placing the duck back on the floor as you turned back to fridge. You flipped up the bracket for the ice machine killing the water from continuously pouring out. You took a deep breath, before grabbing a towel and wiping water out of the compartment to the floor.
    "What happened?" Tom asked as he walked over to you.
    "Some how the bracket to the ice bin was obstructed." You replied feeling your duck swim around at your feet.
    "All of this is from the ice bin?" He asked, looking around the kitchen.
    "Yep." You replied popping your lips on the p. "Mind grabbing the wet vac from down in the basement?"
     Tom nodded, as he walked over to the backdoor, flipping on the light to the basement before descending down. Wade happily splashed around flinging water everywhere. Being a general nuisance, completely unaware of the annoyance.
    "Wade, this isn't an indoor pool." You chided the bird, grabbing him up off the floor.
    You walked over unlatching the swinging baby gate so it was closed. Then you placed him gently on the other side, he quacked angrily at you. The semi feathered animal hunkered down on the other side and glared at you.
    "I know, I'm ruining all your fun." You sighed as Tom came back up.
   "Darling I have some good news and some bad news." He stated, carry the wet vac in, looking for a dry place to set it.
    "And that would be?" You asked, pointing for him to put it on the other side of the gate, where it was still dry.
     "Remember that god awful painting your sister sent us?" He walked over setting it on the floor next to the duck.
    Wade nipped at his fingers, still ruffled from being taken from his new playland. Tom pulled the cord out and plugged into the wall while pushing the duck out of his way.
     "Yeah what about it?" You asked, grabbing the hose from him as he handed it to you.
    "Well, it's ruined. The water has seeped through the floor boards, and it was in the direct path." He smiled, flipping on the wet vac.
    "What?" You deadpanned, your jaw dropping.
     "And coincidentally it was the only thing soaked too. However we might want to set up the dehumidifier to start pulling water out of the subfloor." He stated, as you began to suck the water up off the floor. "Really, I think we got lucky."
    Suddenly the wet vac stopped working, you looked over to see Wade staring at you. Tom looked over the gate and noticed that the cord was unplugged. He plugged it back in, the vacuum roared to life and you started sucking up the water once more.
     A couple minutes later the vacuum stopped working again, however this time when you looked over, Wade had the cord in his beak. You looked over at Tom, who also looked over at the duck. He reached back over the gate and gently pulled the cord out of his beak plugging it back in for the second time.
    You chuckled lightly, shaking your head, going about sucking up more water when the vacuum stopped for a third time. Tom rolled his, sighing loudly, when he reached over the duck took off, cording dangling out of his mouth. Morning rays of light shimmered on the surface of the water still lingering on the floor.
   "Tom, what time does Benedict wake up?" You asked, Tom looked at his watch.
    "You know he should be awake, let me give him a ring." Tom smirked, stepping over the gate. Wade stopped in the corner as Tom looked at him, cord still in his beak. "You, sir, are going to Uncles Ben's for a while."