Exhausted

7.) How long has it been since you slept?
19.) where the hell are you going? - to commit murder or to get ice cream, I'll decide in the car.
Tom
Lady-of-lies

     You sat curled up on the couch reading the newest novel you were engrossed in. Tom came over and flopped down next to you, groaning with exhaustion. Slowly you looked up over at him, his hair was disheveled, dark circles were under his eyes. He let out a heavy breath just as his phone chimed with an in coming text. He looked at it, rolling his eyes before responding.
    He looked more tired then he did the day before, he was in between films at the moment. However his work never stopped, if he didn't have press tours or conventions, he had interviews and photo shoots to do. Plus looking through scripts, and even when he seemed to have a moments peace his phone always seemed to go off.
    "When was the last time you slept?" You asked, Tom leaned his head back against the couch. He looked at you out of the corner of his eye, giving you a small tired smile. He reached over and patted your hand, letting out a soft sigh.
    "I slept a bit last night." He finally said, you shook you head at him.
     "That's all you ever get anymore, just a bit of sleep."
     "I was thinking about the tour in a week and the premier after that. Plus I have a film that is coming up." He shrugged, acting like it was just another day in the dark. "Just kept thinking about the way to make time for all of that."
    "Tom, you're going to wear yourself out at this rate." You stated, turning to face him fully. "I'm worried about you."
    "Sweetheart, I'm fine." Tom replied tiredly, looking forward tearing his gaze away from you.
    "Really? Cause I don't think you are."
     "And why is that?" His tone turned snippy on you, getting defensive.
     "Let's see, you haven't gotten a decent nights rest in months. And then you're up at the crack of dawn, going at full speed, nonstop. You forgot to eat yesterday, you didn't call your mom two days ago like you told her you would." You started ticking off the things that you had held bottled up. "You look like you're walking on deaths door, eyes dark and sunken in, you're paler then usual, and you've lost weight. You don't even smile like you used to, it's so forced anymore."
     "I'm sorry my appearance is a worry to you, thought looks didn't matter." He snapped. "Didn't realize my eating habits were that important to you either and I certainly didn't mean for my life to become such a bother."
    You sat there stunned by his unusually hard tone, your mouth slightly agape. You took a deep breath, before you rose to your feet. You walked over to the door slipping on your shoes, your own anger flaring up at the harshness in his tone. You took one good long hard look at him, Tom refusing to look back at you.
    "Where are you going?" He asked, still looking forward.
     "To commit murder or get ice cream, I'll decide in the car." You snapped before leaving him alone the house.
    You got in your car and left, anger and hurt fueling you as you drove. Sure, you and your boyfriend had had small arguments in the past but never had he snapped at you like that before. You bit back the tears that threaten to spill as you made your way down the street.
    You pulled up to the old tavern, one you had been to many a times before. You walked in and found an empty seat at the bar counter, ordering yourself a drink. You just needed to get away before the fight escalated any further. You took a sip of the amber liquid, feeling it burn as it went down you throat.
     You had spent many nights by Tom's side here, long before the world knew him. Then he was just Tom, your curly haired friend from college. His face still boyish, being the little shit that he was, pulling pranks on you constantly. The way his face lit up when he laughed, you knew Tom before the world knew Loki.
    Some days you missed it, you missed the way things were. Before he became successful, and time seemed to be in short supply. You felt your heart sink, wondering if there would ever be a time again when he wasn't going from this place to the next. When it could just be the two of you, like it had been.
    You had been at the bar remembering for hours before your phone vibrated in your pocket, you fished it out, seeing the face light up with a text from Tom. The picture in the background of the two of you from two years ago. The autumn leaves in the background, with bright oranges and red. Toms face full of light and humor, the crinkles on the sides of his eyes. You swiped open your phone.
Tom: darling where are you?
    You ignored the text, not ready to deal with him quite yet. You just wanted to remember all the reasons you had fallen for your best friend, not hear the apologies of the man he had come.
Tom: I understand if your angry but at least let me know your okay.
    You took the last swing of your drink, deciding to continue to ignore your phone. You wanted to texted him back but a plan had started to formulate in your head. He understood that you were mad at him, what he didn't understand was your worry. That's what you wanted him to really get.
Tom: just tell me you're ok.
     You grabbed your keys, and walked back out to your car. You drove home, and sat on the car staring at the house.
Tom: sweetheart?
     You got out of your car, and walked up to your house. Slowly you opened the door to find Tom pacing the living. His eyes landed on you and relief washed over his once tense face. He all but ran to you wrapping his arms around you, kissing your cheek.
    "Love, I was beginning to worry. You've been gone for hours, where were you?"
    "A bar and before you chide, I had one drink, three hours ago." You retorted.
     "Did you get my texts?"
      "Yes I did." You replied matter of flatly.
     "Why didn't you responded?"
     "Because Tom, what you felt, that panic, the worry, the dread. That's what I feel when I see you work as hard as you do. I love you with every ounce in me, but I see what it's doing you, I'm worried about your health." You replied calmly, taking his face in your hands. "I fell in love with you, the funny, charismatic man from college. And I'll love till the day I die and it pains me to see you like this. Tired, moody, forgetting things."
     "I know, I called Luke and had him cancel a bunch of stuff. I told him I needed a break, I can't keep this schedule up anymore." He sighed, leaning into your hands closing his eyes. "I love you more then words can describe, and hearing you say the things you did opened my eyes to what I've been doing not just to myself but to you."
     "Tom I'll follow you to the ends of the earth." You whispered.
    "I know but I shouldn't make you. I promise, I'll take it easy from now on." He whispered back, his lips seeking yours.