Wedding Duck

Tom lay peacefully, his eyes closed, stretched out on the bed in wonderful slumber. Very slowly, carefully, and tediously webbed feet edged closer above the covers just to the right of the man. Tom's even breathing, causing a loose feather to take flight. Little blacks eyes kept the man in view as the molting animal inched closer, slowly extending his neck. Tom shifted slightly and the duck paused, not a muscle moved. He rolled a bit, his face closer then before, Wade slowly opened his beak, widening as he took a tiny little step closer to his face. He waddled a bit closer, and then.... SNAP.
Tom's eyes snapped open at the moment Wade's beak closed on his nose, waking him instantly. Tom reeled back in the bed, the avian invader releasing his hold, Tom's body off kilter fell from the side of the bed, feathers sprang up from the floor. A pile placed loving by the assulter of his nose. The man stood suddenly, his eyes trained on the duck, narrowing at the animal. With a quick quack, the bird took action jumping from the mattress as the human sprang over the bed.
"Wade!" Tom yelled, chasing the duck out of the bedroom.
Wade's feet made a slapping sound across the wood floor as his body wiggled back of forth as he waddled as fast as his little legs would take him. He ran straight into the kitchen, ducking between your legs, making a ruckus as Tom came in moments later. You turned gently from the stove, careful not to step on your mostly feathered friend.
"You, you little featherless mongrel." Tom stated, his eyes trained at the quacking animal under you. You looked down at Wade, whose head was turned up at you quacking up a storm. Slowly your eyes drifted up to your fiancé, his nose a bright shade of crimson.
"Thomas." You sighed, setting the plate of waffles on the counter, before scooping the animal up.
"Darling, your bird rudely woke me up." He stated, still glaring at the duck who was now cuddling into your chest.
"I can see that sweet heart but it is time to get up, we have stuff to do today." You reminded him, grabbing the big tin from the cupboard, instantly exciting the feathered animal in your arms. His body wiggled, neck stretched upward, beak open.
"Yes, I know, I guess breakfast and then to the church." He smiled, sending your heart into a flutter.
"Today is the day, only 26 more days till Halloween." You grinned over to him, Tom rolled his eyes, and shook his head.
"And today?" He asked as you set the tin and duck down to the floor.
"And today, sir." You started, wrapping your arms around his neck as he wrapped his around your waist. "I make you the luckiest man alive."
"Yes, you do."
——
Hours later, you stood before a full length mirror, staring at yourself. Your best friend growing up to the right and one of Tom's sisters stood to left. They were dressed in deep teal bridesmaids dresses, one strap over the shoulder, the other bare. Your dress, a stark white in comparison, lace accents and the perfect trim. You couldn't believe your eyes as you stared at yourself, hair partially up, expertly curled, make up on point. And a duck rushing between your heeled feet.
Wade would rush out from under your dress, wings stretched out behind him, mouth wide open. He would stop a foot from you, and then turn, and rush back disappearing under the fabric, he would race around your leg and come out just to do it again. You giggled as you filmed him, dying to show your very soon to be husband.
"Alright Wade." You said, setting the phone down on the table next to you, grabbing the animal, lifting him from the ground, his feet still moving. "Why don't you go see daddy."
You set him next to the open door way and gave him a soft shove, his body waddling as he went his way down the hall. Wade fallowed the hall, listening for Tom, he turned into another open doorway. Looking around the room filled with men in black and white with accents of dark teal and a burnt vibrant orange.
Tom fixed his tie for what had have been the millionth time, his looked at the reflection in the mirror as he saw Wade come in. The duck was wearing a black suit jacket, with the accents on the pocket just like he had. A small black tie hung from the ducks neck, perfectly centered and clipped to the front of his jacket.
"There you are. Was wondering when Mom would send you to spy on me." Tom smirked, turning to face the animal, he walked over and scooped him up in his arms.
    Two feathers fell from the mostly feather duck, softly landing to the floor under him. The  bird looked around the room, head pivoting as he watched everyone finish readying themselves. Tom pulled a tin from his pocket giving the duck a small bug before setting him back down on the floor.
     Tom went to go check on some last minute things and the duck wandered his way around the room before Holland snagged him. Holland rushed him out of the room, taking him somewhere else in the building. He set the duck down on the floor and knelt down before him.
    "Alright mate, we've gone over this." Holland said, pulling your wedding ring out of his pocket. "No pillow riding your back, your going to carry it like a big guy."
    The duck cocked his head, staring at the shiny that Holland had produced from his pocket. The duck finally looked up at him, making a chirping noise.
   "Just like we practice, yeah?" He asked, giving the duck a nod as he extended his hand towards the duck, ring in hand. Wade gently took the ring from his finger tips, raising his head up higher.
     Holland could hear the music start up and ushered the duck into place, the ceremony was starting to begin.
~~
    You waited down the hall as the grooms man, best man and Tom walked down the isle, your heart fluttering, still wrapping around the fact that today you were getting married. Getting married in the church you wanted, around the people you cared about, the way you wanted it. You were so glad you 'accidentally' gave your sister the wrong date to your wedding. 
     Tom stood at the alter his own heart racing, watching as Wade took a step out from behind the door. A few cooes were heard as he slowly waddled down the path, feathers trailing in his wake. You and Tom had perfectly planned the wedding so that he would be in a full molt, so you could have feathers instead of flowers. Tom smiled to himself, watching as the duck walked toward him a glint of silver in his beak.
    A glint of silver? That's when Tom realized the duck was carrying the ring in his mouth. He sent a silent prayer that the duck didn't do something foolish, like swallow the ring instead.  Just he neared Tom, the bird caught sight of Tom's Mom in the seating area and diverted,  sprinting toward her.
     "Wade." He heard Holland exclaim quietly. "I swear you never graduated kindergarten."
     Silently the younger Tom walked from his spot, gently walking to the overly excited bird. He scooped him up and walked back to his place, holding the animal to his chest. The bridesmaids started to file in, the flowers in their hands bright oranges, deep teals.
    The music began to change and everyone turned in their seats, both doors opened all the way and you took your first step out. Your eyes were on Tom as you walked steadily towards him, his eyes damping at the sight of you. You couldn't repress the smile on your face as you neared him, the looked of warmth and love coming from him.
     At that moment the bird struggled against his captor, squawking up a storm. You nodded toward the younger man as you stepped up to Tom. Holland set the duck down, who made a beeline for you, only to see him dart under the skirt of your dress. You bit your bottom lip as he came rushing back out and turned to dart back in. The minister looked up at you and Tom, slightly amused by the situation, a small sound of laughter from the room was heard.
     "Go a head and continue, he'll be at this for a while." You told him, looking over at Tom.
    The minister read you your vows, and then had you recite them back. He asked Tom for the ring to place on your finger. He looked over his shoulder at Holland who pointed to the duck that was still playing under your dress. Tom dropped to one knee in front of you, lifting your dress a bit.
     "Wade." He called softly only to be replied back with a hiss. "I just need the ring."
    You heard another hiss come from under your dress, you thought about how awkward this must of look. There all of your wedding party stood, absolutely stunning, Tom kneeling directly in front of you, dress raised and talking under it. You giggled to yourself as he reached under, hearing another hiss.
    "Ow! Dammit Wade." He stated softly, dropping your skirt and standing back up, ring between his red fingers. He slipped it on your finger. "Your duck bit me."
    "Our duck, you marry me, you marry the duck." You smirked back to him, placing his wedding band on his finger.
   "I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss the bride." The minister exclaimed, Tom took a step into you, pulling you close, his lips just about to touch yours. That's when Wade darted out from beneath you and nipped Tom on the ankle, glaring up at him.
    He bent down lifting the duck up, before snaking his arm around your back. He pulled you into him, his lips finding yours, Wade cradled between you, watching as people cheered around you both.