Surgery

You looked around the sterile room, already dressed in the hospital gown, seated on the rolling bed. Shifting uncomfortably, back trying to seize up again, you bit down on your lower lip as you held your own hands tightly in your lap. It was an attempt to keep them from trebling, you didn't want to admit that you were scared. You took a deep ragged breath, looking at the clock on the wall.
     He was running late, and at anytime the doctors would be back to get you and put you under. He swore he would be there before that happened, and he would be there while they did surgery on your back. He promised that when you woke his would be the first face you would see. Now, it was time and he was no where to be seen.
    A sharp knock at the door startle you, causing you jump slightly, pain ran down your left leg making your foot tingle. The doctor peeked around the door, and your heart dropped in an instant. He was talking to you, but it fell on deaf ears, all you could think about was a promise broken. Slowly you laid back on the bed when he asked you too, the click of the lock on the wheels echoed through the small room.
    You closed your eyes tightly, feeling the tears burn behind your eye lids.
   "Excuse me!" You heard someone call out, the sound of heavy foot steps coming up from behind you. The bed stopped moving and you opened your eyes to see the raven haired god walk up, panic etched across his face. His pure black suit, and the emerald scarf you had come to adore hanging loosely over his shoulders. Maybe it was the rumbledness of the suit, or the fear in his eye, but you knew he hadn't meant to be so late.
    "Loki?" You breathed, tears slowly slipping out and down the sides of your face.
    "Darling, I'm sorry I'm late, please forgive me." He stated softly, gently grabbing your hand and bringing the back of it to his lips. You repressed a sob, trying not to show how scared you truly were.
     "I forgive you, promise you'll be there when I wake?" You asked, as you noticed the doctor behind you shift, waiting for your exchange to end.
     "Nothing in the nine realms could tear me away." He told you, giving you that charming smile you had come to know and love.
——
    Loki watched as they wheeled you away, his heart rate increasing just a bit. He hadn't forgotten that you were scheduled for surgery, in fact he had been arguing with Thor about it. Thor was dead set on dragging Loki to a training session, fought with him on what time the surgery was. None of that mattered, at least he was able to make it and see you before they took you back.
     The raven hair trickster walked over to the window on the south side of the waiting room, his eyes scanning out over the hospital grounds. The trees bare before the window and it was a rare occasion that it wasn't raining, but yet the dreary grey skies of winter still further damped his mood. Loki slowly brought his left hand up to his lips, as he watched the mortals move about below him. Gently he spun the silver band on his left hand.
     How he wished he could've taken you to Asgard, the medical procedures and medicine here on Midgard were so primitive. On Asgard they wouldn't even have to lay a single cut on you, they would've been able to heal you from the inside. That however had not been an option since Asgard had been lain to waste. This was the only option on this planet to ease you of the pain you had experienced day after day for the last year, the one that had you confined to a bed, with shooting pain down your leg.
     Sighing heavily he looked back over his shoulder at the clock, watching as the minutes continued to tick by, the gentle click of the doors opening and closing. The soft murmurs of voices talking to each other so not to disturb others in waiting. Loki bit his bottom lip as his eyes scanned the waiting room, soft tans and blond wood shelves holding an array of the latest gossip magazines. He couldn't help but wonder if you hadn't met him that maybe you would of been spared the pain that you were in now.
    You had been kidnapped so many times, often times injured. Yes, you had been the niece to Tony Stark, and yet up until meeting the brothers that had never been an issue. Slowly Loki paced to another window, trying to quell the nervous thoughts running through his head. He prayed to the gods, that the doctors would be successful and the procedure would be quick. That soon he would cast his eyes on your sweet face, that once again he would see you smile and hear you laugh.
    "Loki laufeyson?" A voice drew him back to reality, slowly he turned his head, eyes slowly tearing away from the cars moving about below him.
    "Yes?" Loki asked, as he turned to face the doctor.
     "Follow me sir." He asked, expression never wavering, sending a wave of panic through the man. He followed, hands clasped behind his back, the room that he was led to was small. There were a couple chairs, a box of tissues, generic paint of some forest, it was impersonal. It set Loki on edge, as the doctor closed the door behind him.
     "Is she alright?" Loki asked, his words all but tumbling over each other.
     "Yes, the surgery was a success. She is still under heavy sedation, and it will be a couple more hours till she comes too." The doctor explained, the trickster god felt the weight lift from his body.
    "When can I see her?" He asked calmly even though joy filled him.
    "A couple more hours."
——-
Beep, beep, beep
    Your eyes slowly fluttered open, the lights were turned down low. You knew you were in the hospital, you were having back surgery, Loki had made it at the last minute. You remembered them putting you under and then the world going black, it seemed like in the blink of an eye one minute you were waiting the next you were in a recovery room. Your vision swam for a brief moment before focusing on the ceiling above you. A fake blue sky covered the over head light, with fake puffy clouds.
    Your eyes darted around the room, before landing on the raven hair man you had come to adore. He was leaning back in the chair next your bed, eyes closed, his fingers wrapped around yours. You sighed lightly as a smile spread across your face, the sound gently waking the man. His eyes popped opened, and landed on you, a slow smile brighten his face.
    "Darling." He whispered leaning forward, placing a gentle kiss on your brow.
     "Loki." You croaked out, eyes scanning the room, landing on a very large bouquet of flowers. You looked up, giving him a puzzled look.
    "They're from your uncle, to which he also sent me a lovely letter attached." Loki grinned, watching as you looked from the flowers to him.
     "What did it say?" You asked him, your voice sounding like you had recently eaten gravel.
     "Something along the lines of making sure I do all the work around the house for the next couple months and if you get kidnapped anytime between now and the second day to never I'll make an excellent throw rug." Loki raised his eyebrow as your started to try and laugh, grabbing at your side.
     "That's my uncle for you." You winced.
      "I promised I would care for you in health and in sickness, and I will, my love." He whispered as he kissed you tenderly. "From now until the nine realms end."