Let Me Guess

You watched as Tom dug through the mountain of papers on his desk. Searching for who knows what, you sighed leaning against the dark wood. On the pale blue wall opposite was were dozens of photographs, mostly of his family, some of his friends from college which included you as well. You had known Tom your whole life, had been best friend with him since childhood. You hated it when he had to go and film, but when he was home it was like he never left.
     He said he had bought you something while he was out filming, but for the life of him couldn't remember where he put it. You watched as a stack of papers slid closer to the edge, beginning to teeter. You reached over and gently pushed them further back on the desk with a humored sigh, and went back to looking at the pictures. Almost all of the them were in color, except one. It was your favorite.
    It was black in white, captured a year before his big break, taking the role as the God of Mischief, Loki. The two of you were drenched head to toe covered in mud, having just come back from a run. It wasn't supposed to rain that day, but it, it was like the heavens opened drenching the both of you. Tom encouraged you to take the usual route, promising you even though it was raining there wouldn't be an issue. How far from the truth that had been.
    You tripped over a root that had been exposed because of the sudden down pour and you slid down the edge of the embankment toward a creek. You had reached out, grabbing Tom hoping to stop your fall but managed to drag him with you. By the time you guys arrived back home you were soaked to the core and covered in mud.
    Your roommate took the picture of you and him, cause you had matching mud spots covering your cheeks. She was photographer and loved how it looked, you loved the fact that Tom was genuinely smiling in the picture, something that he had know idea always lifted your spirits.
    "So how are thing with you and Jerry, Jeremy, Justin?" He stopped looking over you, seemingly lost on the name.
    "Rick, and it didn't work out." You replied, pushing the stack of papers back as it began to teeter again.
     "I could of sworn his name started with a J." Tom stated, his brows furrowing.
     "Tom, I haven't dated anyone who's name started with a J since we were teenagers." You smiled over him, he squinted his eyes and tilted his head.
    "You sure, what was that guys name last year?" He asked, bending his head to go back to shuffling.
    "Didn't date anybody last year, was to busy with work." You smirked shaking your head. "The year before that was Mike."
     "Oh, well, anybody at you interested in?" He asked, walking over to the corner where is suitcase stood next the wall. He brought it back over and laid it down on the desk, stacks of papers crashing to the floor.
     "Yeah, but I don't think he thinks of me that way." You replied calmly, kneeling to pick up the scattered papers.
    "Ooo, Who is it?" He asked, looking at you, grin on his face and a twinkle in his eye as he unzipped the luggage.
    "Hmm, not telling." You chuckled as you stood, set the papers on the discarded chair.
    "That means I know him." Tom smirked, beginning to toss clothing items out over his shoulder.
     "Not necessarily." You shrugged crossing your arms, watching the mess behind him begin to grow with each new added article of clothing.
    "Yes, necessarily. You always tell me who it is you like." He stopped for a moment, putting his hands on the wood surface of the desk. Bright blue eyes staring at you.
     "Not always, I didn't tell you about Mitch." You reminded him.
     "Mitch from grade three? He ate glue." Tom stated, flabbergasted.
     "Yep, What the hell was I thinking." You giggled, shaking your head. You hoped he wouldn't press any further, hoping he would forget that line of questioning.
     You couldn't lie to him, out of all the people of the planet Tom was the one person you couldn't lie to. He would call you on your bullshit faster then anyone else you knew. Plus, when he would just look at you with those beautiful blues of his and it made it next to impossible to lie to him.
    "You're stalling, so who is it?" He asked, standing to his full height and crossing his arms.
    "Tom, it's not a big deal." You replied, turning away from the intensity of his stare.
    "How about I guess then?" You didn't have to turn around to know he was grinning like an idiot.
     "Fine."
      "Luke." You turned slight to look at him, brows pinched together.
      "No." You replied, walking over to the wall and looking at all the pictures again.
      "Robert." He chuckled, you through a look over his shoulder.
      "Ew, like seriously, I do have better taste in men that." You snarked back, rolling your eyes.
     "Do I need to remind you of Kevin?" He quipped back with a grin.
     "I dated a biker once, and in my defense I was still a teenager." You remarked turning to face him, you sighed. "And he had a really awesome Harley."
     "Alright I give, who is it?" He asked, watching your face intently.
     "I told you, I'm not telling." You replied, shaking your head again at him.
     "Come on at least give me something to work off of." He groaned, tilting his head back. You bit your bottom lip, thinking it over a bit before finally giving in.
     "He's tall, handsome, has the most stunning blue eyes." You started off slowly.
    "That describes half of the population." He grinned.
     "Generous, and thoughtful. He stands up for what he believes him, regardless of what anyone thinks. He's giving, and smart." You could feel your heart start to pound heavy in your chest.
     "Sounds like a good guy for you." Tom stated walking over to where you stood.
     "I've know the man for years, essentially my whole life really. And it wasn't till a couple years ago I realized how I really felt about him, but by that point the entire world knew him." You told him, feeling your body began to tremble. You were throwing yourself out there, knowing that he might not feel the same way and it would change your friendship but you couldn't hold back any longer. "And I.. I knew that even though I could share him with the rest of the world, I wasn't sure if he would feel that way for me. So I've kept quiet for years, watching from the sidelines, happy for him."
     "Are you sure that he doesn't feel the same way?" He asked, standing close to you, looking down into your eyes.
     "I don't know, been to afraid to ask." You shrugged, you voice trembled a bit.
     "Why don't you ask him? Ask him now." He said softly.
      "Tom, how do.. I.." you couldn't find the right words, all you could do was look up at him.
     "How about I try," He smiled, grasping your hands. "Y/n, I really like you and want to take you out on a date."
     "How long have you known?" You asked, glancing down to the floor.
     "I've had my suspicions for the last year, but I've known how I felt about you since that day we got rained out." He explained, your eyes slowly lifting to his. "I realized after we fell in that creek that I loved you and I think I always would but you were seeing Kyle at that point."
     "Yeah, another mistake." You smiled up at him. "Yes, I'd love to go on a date with you."