Shift

Unknownwonder. Mutantreader x Loki.

You rushed towards the hostile forces as they engaged into battle with the rest of the team. You snapped your hands out to either side of your body as you neared, eyes focusing on the rather large man that grasped ahold of Thor throwing him into the side of the brick building. Everything in your line of sight began to sharpen, you launched yourself into the air, your body contorting as your feet left the cement beneath you.
You bones began to shift and shrink, feathers pushing out of your skin as your body shifted, feet turning into taloned legs. You lifted your wings, taking you higher into the air before pulling them in sharply sending yourself into a nose dive. Your target turned his focus on Loki, and your vision turned red as he swung at one of the multiple versions of the god. The world around you moved at a fast pace as you plummeted downward, a shriek leaving your beak.
The man looked up just as you unfurled your wings, baring your talons at him. Your sharp nails digging into the flesh of his arm as he brought it up to defend himself. You ripped your beak into the tanned skin, blood poured out as he yelled and reached over to grab ahold of your eagle form.
Loki smirked as he moved to the left, watching you let go of the enemies arm, falling backward. You shifted again, feathers falling out, disappearing before they hit the ground. Your wings elongated, orange and black stripe fur covering every inch as you finished your flip. You landed neatly on the pads of your paws, a roar came from your throat, ears pressed tightly to your skull. You lunged in at the man's exposed belly before he had a chance to realize what had happened.
For years you had studied at the mansion known as Xavier's Academy for Gifted Youngsters, honing your natural gifts. The ones you were currently using in tandem with Loki's magic. You could shift into just about any animal, so long as you have a touched it while it had been living. Many would of said that you would not have been useful in a fight, and how wrong they were. It only took seconds for your bones to shrink, bend, re-align, shedding fur, feathers, hair was painless.
Months ago you had stumble upon Clint, he had been surrounded by countless Hydra agents. You had been done with school for along time but still lived at the X-Mansion at the time like a lot of others. You had been in NYC looking for your own place after getting into a heated argument with Xavier himself. Clint had been running and firing arrow after arrow, trying to fend them off while looking for an escape. You recognized him right off the bat, had seen him during the alien invasion on New York. So you did what any sane person would of done, turned into a rhino and charged the group chasing him.
After that you had been offered a spot at the compound and took it. Join earths mightiest hero's? Who would say no to that? And here you were months later, fighting hydra, aliens, human traffickers, using your gifts for good instead of waiting for someone tell you now was the time to fight.
Couple hours later, enemy base destroyed you padded onto the quinjet, tiny paws walking confidently, fur a sleek black. Bucky almost tripped over you, as you took the remain steps and jumped into Loki's lap. He looked down at you and smiled, his hand stroking your back.
    "God dammit, y/n, small animals are a no!" Bucky snapped, flopping on the seat across from you and the god. You turned in a circle and curled yourself up into Loki's lap.
    "Barnes, if you'd look where you were going Lady y/n's form wouldn't be an issue." Thor replied sitting next to his brother.
     "Yeah, you know she likes turning into a cat, especially after a mission." Natasha stated smirking as she next to Bucky.
     "And she takes up less space." Sam added walking to the cock pit.
    You purred contently, staring at Bucky, flicking your tail. He rolled his eyes, he knew better then to have said something. Loki leaned his head back against the cold metal side of the inside of the craft, feeling the jet lift. He absent mindedly continued to softly stroke your fur the whole ride back.
     Back at the compound you treaded to you room before you shifted back, knowing you would be naked. You turned human, and stretched your back before settling on a soft tee and jeans. You walked back out to the common room, feet bare against the cold tile.
   "Lady y/n, how do you feel?" Loki's voice caught your attention. Your eyes drifted to him, and you shrugged.
    "A little stiff, and we've had this discussion Loki, no lady." You replied, walking over to him as he stood near the window. The world outside tinting orange as the sun descended.
    "You took that last hit pretty hard." He stated, your eyes drifted to him, concern crossing his face. You were midshift when a blast nearby rocket through the area, sending you careening into a parked car, leaving a massive dent in the side.
    "Yeah, that was fun." You stated sarcastically, stretching again, trying to pop a rib back into place. "One of my ribs are out and I can't get it to pop back where it should be."
    "How do you get it to pop back in, that sounds painful." Loki said, his brow furrowing as he watched you stretch your body to the left and twist again.
     "Generally shifting does it but it hasn't worked this time, so I'm trying to twist and stretch." You grimaced, it was more uncomfortable then painful, having a higher pain tolerance came in handy. Loki bit his bottom lip as you stretched the other way and twisted your body. "I have a feeling I'm going to have to manually man handle it and trying to get it in the right area."
    "May I be of any assistance?" He asked, you looked up at him, the two of you had been close. He was one the first people you really talked to after arriving, besides Clint. And truth be told he were developing feelings for him. 
    "Actually you might have a better chance of pushing it back." You stated, you pulled your shirt off, thanking yourself silently for putting a sports bra on before you left your room. You turned your back to him, raising your left arm showing the rib was pushed out, the skin taut across it. It sat slightly over the top of the rib above it. You pointed down towards the offending bone. "So that, isn't supposed to be like that, it needs to be pushed down and back. But gently so it can get there without snapping back quickly and puncturing my lung."
     "Okay, so what do I do?" He asked, bringing his hands up. Gently you grasped his hands placing it on the skin covered bone, he looked up at you nervously and then back down.
    "Slowly, carefully, push it down and to the back, start with part closer my spine." You stated, turning slightly and placing your palms on the wall in front of you. You took a deep breath, and nodded to Loki.
    As you exhaled Loki did as asked, pushing the rib down and back, it roughly glided under his warm palms. You closed your eyes and gritted your teeth, feeling bone scrape across bone. What only took moments seemed like longer, the bone falling back into place where it should of been. You inhaled, and twisted, relieved that you could move more freely. You locked eyes with Loki, who smiled at you warmly. He bit his lip and took a deep breath.
     "Y/n.." he started.
     "Y/n, there's some guy in a wheel chair to see you!" You heard Sam call from down the hall.
    Your head snapped back, looking in the direction Sam yelled from. Xavier, had to be, you looked back up at Loki and sighed. Slowly you crossed the room, in the entry way you saw him. Xavier smiled as you walked into the room and shut the door leaving the two of you by yourselves.
    "Y/n, how have you been?" He asked.
    "Pretty good, I'm going to cut the formalities, why are you here?" You asked, crossing your arms.
     "Something has come up, we need you to come back, a couple of the kids have been kidnapped." He replied, the smile leaving his face.
     "And you need my help?" You scoffed, shaking your head. "How come you only came to me when someone was in danger, or hurt but we never stood up to help others?"
    "We do." He replied calmly.
     "Yeah, but, not like we do here, we actively go out and look for people to save, bad people to take down." You replied, running your hands through your hair. "And never my help, I couldn't hold up in a fight. Not strong enough, quick enough, smart enough. But here, I'm part of a team."
   "I was wrong about you, I'll admit that. You are a lot stronger then anyone could of thought." He nodded his head in agreement.
    "I'm not say yes, but how many kids?" You asked leaning against the wall.
    "Five, being held up state." He replied crisply.
     "And then what?"
     "You become one of us." He told you.
     All you had wanted to be was an X-Men. Growing up in the mansion watching Scott and Logan go out on missions, becoming one of them. But you already were part of a team, and that meant you would have to leave Loki. You looked over your shoulder at the door, and bit your lip.
    "Y/n, you always wanted to be an X-Men, it was something you talked about often." He said softly, your head snapped back him and you glared down at him.
    "Stay out of my head." You growled. "I'll help, but I'm not coming back with you. And I'm bringing help."
     "Y/n." He sighed.
     "That's the deal I'm offering." You stated grabbing the door handle as you kicked yourself from the wall.