27

KIARA

"Damien, I'm home," I called out, "We can talk now."

Walking to the living room, I see a brunette elder lady, and a blonde, tall girl next to her. The blonde
girl looked very familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on where I knew her from.

"Um, hi. If you don't mind me asking... who are you and what are you doing here?"

"We would like to ask you the very same thing, actually," the blonde one spoke.

"Oh, babe. You're home." I heard Damien behind me. His arm went around my waist and pulled me closer.

"Damien, what the hell?" I asked, irritated.

"I know you're mad about this morning. We'll talk about it later, I promise. Meet my mom, Christina." 

What the hell was going on? What was he trying to do?

"Um, hi. I'm Kiara, Damien's..."

"Fiancee," Damien whispered.

"Fiancee?" I said/asked out loud, shocked.

"So, it's true," said Christina, completely ignoring the hint of uncertainty in my voice.

"Christina! Damien can't marry this girl! He has to marry me!" the blonde woman whined.

"Shush, Lilian. I'm trying to handle the situation here. Stop whining," Christina scolded

"Mom, excuse us for a minute," said Damien, holding my hand and leading me into his room.

"What the hell is going on?" I yell at Damien, "Hate to break it to you, but I am NOT your fiance!" 

"Keep it down. They'll hear you. Let me explain."

"You better start explaining soon because my patience is running out."

"I'm sure you remember Lilian? From the restaurant that day you got fired?"

"Ohh...! So that's where I remember her from!"

"Not to sound narcissistic but she's a bit... I apologize, I meant OVERLY obsessed with me."

"Yeah, I can see that very clearly," I emphasized.

"She was starting to get out of control so I lied saying I was a changed man who decided to settle down with a beautiful girl."

"And...? Skip to the part where you drag me into this mess."

"Well, she thought I was proposing to her. And, at that moment, you called me. So, I just kind of told her we were engaged. And that's the reason I spoke like that to you earlier on the phon--"

"YOU WHAT?!"

"Kiara, lower your voice. Don't forget that I am still your boss."

"No way, I'm not pretending to be your fiancee. We are not in some fantasy book or some sort of romantic movie. No. Uh-uh. Not doing it. I don't even have time for this nonsense. You're the one who lied so you tell them the truth."

"Your dream job is on the line." Damien declared after a moment of hesitation.

"Are you threatening me?" I asked, feeling a little less confident.

"I'll pay you. People like you always accept money. You need it, Kiara. Just accept the deal."

"What the fuck does 'people like you' mean?! I don't need your shitty money." I spat out each word with disgust.

"I guess you don't want the job as much as  I thought you did."

This son of a bitch. I need to do something. I can't just let go of my dreams. But, I won't let him walk over me. I won't let him have his way that easily. There's also that annoying Lilian girl. Think, Kiki, think!

Ding!

A lightbulb!

"Lilian!"