55

KIARA

"Who are you talking about?" Damien asked, his voice had lowered and smoothed. It almost sounded soothing.

I didn't reply. I wasn't going to. I didn't want to be here. The walls of the huge room felt like they were narrowing in on me. 

I got up and turned around. For some odd reason, my mind trailed back to Dana. 

"Where are you going?! I'm asking you a question. Answer me."

"Please. I just want some comfort. That's all. I'm not going to ask her anything. We're not even going to talk. I promise. Please let me go." I pleaded.

Our bodies slammed into each other. Damien pulled me into a hug.

"I'll comfort you."

Having been in an abusive relationship, I know the mind tricks partners play on you to manipulate you. Maybe I wasn't as smart and strong as I thought I was, but I'm not going to fall into the same mistake twice. 

Damien was abusive. He was toxic. I can't let myself forget that.

"YOU? YOU. You're the one who messed me up." I hit his chest, "You caused all of this. This? I don't even know what this is. What did you drag me into? I had such a peaceful life. Sure, it was hard. But it was humble and calm. I enjoyed it. You..."

"Kiara. Don't continue." Damien hugged me tighter.

I pushed him off of me, breaking the hug.

"I just want to be alone." 

As Damien open his mouth to interrupt me, I continued, "I'm not going to run away. I've realized I can't. I'm just going to take a bath and sleep. That's all."

"Okay."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Droplets of water glided off my body. I began to scrub my body, the soap and water formed a lot of lather.

How could I not see it? I thought I had mastered at spotting abuse, but they were so good at hiding it, only showing it with aggression. 

I was clueless, but if there was no way out of this, I had to know, to learn what was going on. I had to be strong for myself.

I dried off my body with a towel, putting on a t-shirt and shorts. I walked out of the bathroom and saw that Damien had dozed off on top of the covers. 

I thought about sneaking into Dana's room to talk with her, but I quickly disregarded that idea. I needed Damien to trust me first. Pushing his bulky body on the other side of the bed, I attempted to push him back under the covers. Failing to do so, Damien woke up.

"What are you doing?" He asked with a sleepy tone.

"I..uh--I was trying to...You were sleeping on top of the covers so I was trying to push you under, but I obviously failed." I explained nervously.

"So... You still care?" His eyes were closed and he still looked as if he was sleeping but his smug smile made it clear he was wide awake.

I hit him with a pillow, "Absolutely not. I was just performing my civic duties."

"Mhm," he muttered, "Come here."

He scooted to the side and opened up his arms. 

After a moment of hesitation, I got in bed. 

He pulled me into him, stroking my hair, "I will protect you."