47

KIARA

"Where is my Damien and her pretty little bride?! I want to see them! Oh--Damien, there you are!" An old woman with a flowy dress and a hat ran up to us. Beach vibes were radiating from her. She grabbed Damien's arm and Damien flipped to hug her.

"Aunt Lexi. Welcome, how was your flight?" Damien gave her a killer boyish smile.

"Oh, it was horrible but I feel all better seeing my Familia! Come on, come on, let us go inside and talk."

Aunt Lexi and Damien linked arms and walked inside, completely leaving me behind. I scoffed. 

"Hello, I'm here, too." I whispered to myself, rolling my eyes.

I heard Tyler chuckle behind me, "Come on, let's go."

Just for spite, I linked arms with him and we walked inside to join the rest of the Familia.

"Damien."

"Tita."

"Where is she?" Damien's grandmother asked me. 

Damien's eyes finally landed on me... linked with Tyler's arms.

I gave Tyler a small smile as a gesture of gratitude and walked next to Damien.

"Oh, there she is! I almost didn't see her... quite on the short side, isn't she?"

Remarkably amiable my ass, Damien. What's so wrong about being short?

"Hello. I'm Kiara, Damien's fiancee. It's great to finally meet you."

"So, you're marrying my grandson?"

"That's the plan, yes."

There was a moment of silence that I could not bear.

"How was your flight?" I asked, trying to strike up a conversation and maybe get a little friendly.

"Oh my God, mother, you must be so tired! Let me help you up to your room. We will meet again at dinner time. Dana should be here by then, too." Christina and Ms. Mantini helped Grandma, or Tita as they say. Slowly, everyone retreated to their rooms.

Damien held my hand and we took a slow stroll to our room. There was absolutely no exchange of words--just utter silence.

Once we arrived at our room, I plopped on the bed and laid down. Damien took out his button-up shirt and sat on the chair. He looked deep into his thoughts.

I didn't bother asking, because for once, the silence was calming. I hugged the pillow tighter and closed my eyes. Suddenly, I felt a grip on my waist. I was engulfed. 

All too aware of the dangers, I grew a pair of balls and turned around. I hadn't accounted for this much in proximity, but I overlooked it. Nothing was going to happen. Not this time. Sure, he was just a sexy beast who never failed to tempt me and get me weak in my knees, ready for anything. Sure, he was just what I wanted and more. But, he was cold and way too bipolar. 

"What are you doing?" I whispered.

He didn't respond. He pulled me into him tighter and I heard him breathe in heavily. 

"What are we doing?" I whispered into his neck.

Again, a moment of silence. Then, he let me go. I squirmed out and put a considerable amount of space between us. I looked into his dark hazel eyes, wishing I hadn't. What was going on in his head? What made him like this? What was troubling him?

"Kiara, I don't love you." He said.

Ouch. I mean, okay? I knew that. How and why would he love me? We had 0 real conversations, we never hung out, we don't even know each other.  Our only relationship is business and this game. That's it, I reminded myself.

"Uh, yeah... I know. I mean, it's not like I'm in love with you."

"And we're not friends."

"What the fuck?" I laughed, "Okay? And?"

"I can never love anyone that way, whether it be for love or for friendship." 

"What about your family?"

"That's different."

"Damien, you can't force love. Do not get the wrong idea here. I'm not waiting for you to fall in love with me. I'm only here for my restaurant. I don't like this any more than you do."

"There are a few things you should know. I never tell anyone I love them, but I've told you I had many times in front of my family. This--"

"--is all so you can prove it to them. I know, Damien."

"Don't interrupt me. We have, and will continue to have, a strict boss and employee relationship. Do not confuse my behavior to you when we're with others."

"Okay." 

I wanted to ask: Why did you pull me into you, then? 

"Now, come here." He pulled me in tighter again.

Bipolar. 

"What are you doing? There's no way you can just say all that and go back to cuddling."

"Shh..."

This wasn't too bad. His arms made me feel protected. As if in that moment, no one could hurt me. I closed my eyes. I didn't want this moment to end. 

Don't get ahead of yourself, Kiara! Look at yourself and look at him. Look at your family and look at his.

Great, now I was putting myself down because of a man. I deserve better, I told myself and tried to drift off to a quick nap.

"I don't know how to be friends." I heard Damien whisper into my hair.