48

KIARA

Did he want to be friends? Or did he want my advice on how to become friends with someone? Is that all he wanted from me? Just friendship? Could this go any further? I wanted to know. I needed to know.

"You know what, I'm not tired anymore," I said to Damien, "In fact, I'm feeling very energetic."

I sat up next to him, "Come on, Damien. You never showed me around here."

"Kiara, I got work and I'm tired. I don't have the time or energy to show you around," Damien grumbled.

"Okay, then, I will ask Tyler." I got up and out of the bed. 

"Hey, wait hold up," Damien held my arm, "I'll show you around."

"Yay! Let's go." I held his hand and pulled him out of bed and out the door.

"Baby, I'm shirtless," Damien stated, looking down at his chest and back at me.

"Oh, yeah.. Uh, you should probably wear your shirt."

He shook his head and chuckled as he grabbed his shirt and buttoned it up. We walked through the corridor, skipping a bunch of doors as they were empty bedrooms.

"Wait a minute, why are we sleeping together if there are so many empty bedrooms??" I asked.

"Because we're engaged... in their eyes."

"So? We could've made something up. I could have been very conservative and didn't do any of that until after marriage. It's not as absurd as faking to be engaged when you think about it."

"No. It wouldn't be believable."

"You're not believable," I scoffed. 

"Here, I want to show you something." He led me through another corridor.

The door was much larger than the doors of the other rooms. It made me realize how old this house was. On the outside, it looked so modern but it was just renovated. We walked into the room. It was the size of a movie theatre with libraries in place of walls. Books occupied every corner. 

"Wow," I gasped, "You're really living the life of my dreams, aren't you?"

"You like it?"

"I love it." I walked around. On one of the walls, only the top half was occupied with books as there was a fireplace built under it. There were a couple of armchairs in front of the fireplace. On one of the corners was a study desk with a couple of picture frames. I took one and inspected it. It was 4 kids in front of the very fireplace across from me. They were all snuggled in blankets with books in their hands. My heart warmed seeing little Damien smile. I looked up at him but he was already looking at me. My eyes darted back to the single book on the desk.

"Oh my God, Little Women!" It was in the original book cover. I carefully grabbed the book and flipped through the pages. This was my absolute favorite book ever.

"I didn't take you for a reader." Damien walked by me.

"I didn't take you for one, either," I looked back at the picture frames.

I walked to the only wall with no presence of books. It was just closed curtains. I undid the tie and pulled the curtains to the side. Sunlight engulfed the whole room. The whole "wall" was a huge window. I looked outside the window and you could see the whole property with all it of its beauty.

"You're very lucky, you know?" I told Damien who was now looking outside beside me.

"As you are," he responded.

"Me? Not to sound spoiled or pathetic, but I'm nowhere near as lucky as you are."

"I didn't say lucky like me. You're lucky in your own way."

"Well, then everyone is lucky in their own way."

"That's right."

I didn't really want to talk about luck considering my whole situation with being fake engaged to an ultra-lucky man who has won everything in life. 

"You know what would be an amazing addition to this library? If it had like a balcony so you could enjoy the light wind as it runs through your hair. But, I mean, this library is already perfect."

"Come. I'll show you outside." 

As we walked out of the house, I tried to imagine how my life would be like if I had been brought up here. I would wear flowy old dresses and run through these halls. I would never leave this library. I'd spend my hours pretending I was in some movie. A Disney movie.

We walked through gardens and pools and fountains. This was art and I don't want to hear otherwise from anyone else. The design and the work put into it had to be appreciated.

It was almost time for dinner. We went back to our rooms to clean up and refresh. As I combed through my hair I realized this was the most peaceful I had been in a while. And it just felt right.