49

KIARA

"Why is my brother so into you?" Damien asked as we walk towards the living room.

"Are you jealous?" I ask, feeling bold. His glare was quick to destroy every bit of boldness I had in me, "Haha, I'm just joking. He just wants to be friends with his sister-in-law, obviously. No other reason and don't look too into it."

"I'm not looking too into it. He's overly interested."

"He's not interested. He just wants to be friends."

"Friends.." Damien scoffed.

"Not everyone sees others as business, Damien." I fired at him, flashing a fake smile as we had just arrived at the living room.

Everyone had taken their seat at the dinner table as if we were late. But there was no way. We were early if anything. I mentally thanked Damien for dragging us out of the room early. I scanned around the table as I sat down. Everyone was here, everyone but Dana and her fiancee. I was really curious to meet her. She intrigued me. Damien's family didn't seem like the type to break traditions and from what I knew, marrying the youngest daughter off first was definitely breaking the tradition.

"Good evening," Damien greeted everyone, "Where's Dana?" 

"Your sister is in her room," Christina answered with a flat tone.

What was up with everyone? They all looked...mad?

"And care to tell me why she's not joining the rest of us, ma?" Damien asked.

"Go! Go and see what you're sister has done! As if the disgrace she has brought upon this family wasn't enough." Damien's grandmother yelled with disgust.

What was going on?

"Tita! What are you saying? Can you be more clear?"

"Go and see for yourself, son." Jack, Damien's father, said in an authoritative tone. It was weird seeing him so formal as he was among the nicest to me in this family.

Damien got up and walked out of the room. I followed behind him. 

"Damien, wait up!" I ran after him. His long legs and stamina were hard to catch up with. 

"Go back, Kiara."

"No. Listen to me, calm down. If something bad is going on, you can't go up to your sister with this anger."

Damien disregarded me and continued walking fast-paced to his sister's room.

"Damien, look at me!" I grabbed his arm. He finally stopped and turned around to face me.

"Kiara, I'm fine." He looked into my eyes. I don't know how this is possible but I could almost see fire bursting from his eyes and fumes coming out. 

"No, please calm down. Try to hear her out, we don't even know what she did."

"You don't know my sister." Damien punched the wall. 

Major anger issues. Red flag.

"I know that you spoke very fondly of her." I tried to calm him down.

Damien paced back and forth. I walked in front of him to stop the pacing and put my arms around his neck to pull him into a hug.

He almost didn't accept the hug. He felt very tense but after a few seconds his muscles relaxed and he hugged me back.

"Let's go see your sister and try to remain calm, okay?" I smiled lightly, holding his hand, "You lead the way or I'll get us lost."

I almost heard a slight chuckle.