35

KIARA

Turning around to find the sweet, tranquil voice, I see an old woman, around 60. Suddenly, I'm engulfed in a pair of strong arms.

"Meet my fiancee, Kiara. Kiara, this is Ms. Mantini." 

Man, it felt so nice and cozy in his arms. I just felt so protected. Sometimes, when you've been the only one in your life to protect you, it feels nice to let go and let someone do it for you once.

"Fiancee! Oh my God! I'm so proud of you! How come I haven't seen her before...  I've seen others but not... Anyways, oh my Gosh, You're just so beautiful, dear." Ms. Mantini walked up to me. I felt like an object being inspected, but she didn't have bad intentions. Once Damien let me go, Ms. Mantini gave me a hug.

"Thank you. It's great meeting you." I smiled.

"How long have you guys been together? I can't believe Damien, of all 4 of the kids, is getting married after Dana. You see, I always knew Dana would be first. She has that wife-y... Ah, what's the word?"

"Wifey material?" I suggested.

"Oh, yes! I like how that sounds. I knew she would be the first one. But, Damien...! Gosh, I thought he'd be a bachelor his whole life."

"Ms. Mantini..." Damien whined.

"What..?" Ms. Mantini shrugged, "I'm just getting started. Oh, there's just so much to talk about."

"Unfortunately, we have to leave, Ms. Mantini. Don't worry, she'll be here for a while now."

"Next time." I smiled at her as Damien pulled me out of the room.

"You did not mention that we had to put on an act in front of your Ms. Mantini?! How often does she come home? I don't think I can do this..." I whispered, scolding him.

"She travels between the family house, vacation houses if we're on vacation, my house, my siblings' house... She's like family. We can't let her know." He explained, handing me my jacket.

"Oh my God, Damien." I rolled my eyes, "Where are we going, anyway?"

"I thought you might want to go shopping for tonight's dinner. Since you'll be meeting my family."

"Great," I mumbled sarcastically, "Let's go."

"Damien, dear!" Ms. Mantini called from behind us.

"Yes, ma'am." 

"Is there anything special you two want for dinner tonight? Your mother just called me. I'll be cooking tonight."

"No, not really. Anything works. How about you, babe?"

"Wh..what? Me..Me? Um... um," I cleared my throat, "No, no. It doesn't matter. Thank you, Ms. Mantini. Please let me know if you need help with anything. Cooking is my specialty." I smiled at her. She was like the old aunt I never had.

"Okay, see you two tonight!" She waved at us.

"Goodbye, Ms. Mantini." Damien smiled at her and held my hands.

Oh my God, I think I'm going to melt. I feel so hot.

What the fuck? This will not happen and you know it. Get yourself together, girl.

"What happened back there?" Damien asked me, smirking because he knew exactly what had happened.

"Oh, nothing. My throat was feeling a lil... lil' scratchy. That's all."

"Yes, I'm sure that's all. Don't worry. I mean it's pretty understandable."

"Mhm, everyone's throat feels scratchy sometimes. You're absolutely right." I quickly changed the topic before he did, "Where are we going?"

"Well, there's this place I know. Everyone in my family -- mostly girls -- get their dresses done there. Madame Louise is her name. She knows my family so bringing you there might make it believable and official." 

"You are so manipulative. Tricking your family like this... I can't believe you. Who knows what you'll do to your future wife? Hell, who knows what you'll do to me? Why are we even doing this? We could've told the truth or said Lilian was behind this whole thing or found some other way..." I babbled, fearing what he could really do to me if I ditched this whole thing.

"I already told you, Kiara. Lilian has a big mouth. She told my whole family I was getting married to her. I had to make it look like it was a misunderstanding and this was the only thing I thought of at the moment you called me."

"Great. I am literally a victim of opportunity. Wrong place. Wrong time."

"We're here." Damien parked the car, "Remember, we are getting married. You are getting married to me."

"Oh my God, you make it seem like I'm 'marrying' Prince Charming or Harry Styles."

"Harry Styles' has nothing on me, babe."

"Can you stop calling me that?" I asked irritably. I was not used to it and could not become used to it.

"What, babe?" He flashed his famous smirk and held my hand.

God, if you're up there, please, help me survive this. I cannot love this man.