Prologue: A Normal Day

That year, they were still just children. And then, they met.

When I woke up, I look at the unfamiliar canopy above me in a haze, then I belatedly recall that I am outside, and not in my own palace hall. I slowly get up and get dressed, thinking to myself, where has Xi Xi gone wandering off to now, throwing I - this master of hers - to the back of her mind.

I attend to myself with the clean water that had already been prepared in the room, then wipe my hands dry before heading out, upon pushing open the doors, the sun brightly shines down, causing me to squint my eyes, starting to walk forward as I go and take a nice stroll.

I remember Xi Xi telling me, this place is called Mount Qi Yun, a mountain that just happens to be located in the middle of this vast land. This mountain is like spring throughout all four seasons, with singing birds and fragrant flowers, a pleasant scenery, the perfect vacation spot. The most important thing being, this mountain had unknowingly been given tacit approval several hundred years ago, that it does not belong to any one kingdom, any one person.

Mount Qi Yun is just Mount Qi Yun, the holy land appropriate for friends of the imperial families of the three kingdoms, a good place for the gathering of allies.

I stroke my chin, beginning to recall why I am also in the traveling group this time.

Originally, princesses should not be brought along in this gathering of the three emperors that comes once every five years, in this male dominant society, only princes are worth being proud of and worth showing off. It cannot be helped that my Father Emperor has not a single male offspring, hence creating the situation of him doting on my [older] twin sister - An Ke Zi - only. As a matter of course, for such a special trip, Imperial Sister would become the main subject of attention. And as for why I would be the tagalong, is solely due to Imperial Sister pouting her red lips as she mutters the words, "So boring, why are everyone going all males, Father Emperor, I want Ah-Lan to come along with me." And then, I too, am extremely honoured to follow along to experience the world outside.

On this Mount Qi Yun, inside the summer resort that can be said to be luxurious, where I reside is but a little little little corner. I did not go see the emperors of the other countries with Father Emperor, nor did I go meet the princes of the other countries with Imperial Sister, I just slowly walk along the pebbled pathway alone, leisurely and carefree.

This morning I have gotten up a little early, the sun has yet to restore its vicious nature, a slight breeze blowing against my face brings along a unique fragrance of plants, so tender, cosy, lazy. I half squint my eyes as I let out a yawn, such gentle and comfortable weather, cannot be more suitable for a nice sleep.

Coming in my direction are two people who appears to be palace maids, unfamiliar faces and unfamiliar outfits, the moment they see me, their paces come to a pause, their eyes circles around my face a few times, then happen to both cover their mouths as they softly let out a laugh, quietly mumbling something under their breath, not to mention casting strange looks at me from time to time.

I do not show any reaction to their rude behaviour, just continuing to look ahead, walking my own path whilst turning a blind eye to them.

Just that, no matter what, I'm still an ordinary person, I just cannot possibly understand those strange looks I got from them. Such strange looks as though I was dressed in a Batman costume, but are instead very proudly saying to them: "Hello all, I am Spiderman."

After walking far past them, I finally come to a stop, I reach up to strongly rub at both my cheeks, then carefully look at the palm of my hands. Very good, there is no black, nor is there any red, this means that Yuwen Rui did not draw a turtle or anything else on me this time. But, since he didn't do anything, why were they looking at me like that?