Chapter 40

If father emperor didn't annoy you enough in the last chapter, there's more to his decree that puts only himself to peace...

Father Emperor passes away, at the age of fifty.

The palace is filled with wailing cries, princesses, consorts, ministers, also the palace maids and imperial guards. Their eyes contain anxiousness, panic, be it of sadness or anxiousness, their faces are collectively expressions of sadness.

Imperial Sister sprawls onto the bed, crying so heart wrenchingly, the other sisters at the side are also gathering together to wail, as though competing whose voice is louder. I don't know why I would think of those gangster films, the police are always doubting every suspect, if the cry is fiercer, then they say they're trying to hide something, if the cry is softer, then it has nothing to do with them, then in the end, how should one cry, for it to be considered right?

I don't know, because I am unable to cry.

I have not cried for a long, long time.

Eldest Imperial Sister suddenly stands and comes up to me, trying her best to wipe away her tears as she yells at me: "What exactly did you say to Father Emperor?! Why would Father Emperor suddenly pass away?!"

I find it rather funny, yet my face shows no expression as I say: "Eldest Imperial Sister should be asking this question to the imperial physicians."

Eldest Imperial Sister pauses, then says with a face of grievances and resentment: "Are you even Father Emperor's daughter? Father Emperor has passed away, yet there's not even a single drop of tear from you!"

"Tears?" I furrow my brows, "Eldest Imperial Sister means to tell me to use my saliva?"

"You, you," Eldest Imperial Sister was angered into waving her arms, her brows turning down as she says: "A fool, is indeed still a fool!" Having said that, she twists her body and once again sprawls onto the bed in tears.

I lower my eyes and calmly think, compared to all of you, am I not just a fool?

I look at Imperial Sister who is currently choking on her tears, she has already thrown away her usual elegance right now, only having the strength to cry out for Father Emperor. It cannot be blamed, Father Emperor has always doted on her like a treasure in the palm of his hand, is the most, most gentle and kind father to her, if I was Imperial Sister, perhaps I would also be that heartbroken.

It all comes down to people cannot be generalised. There are such words: arsenic poison to A, but effective medicine to B, it can be said the other way around as effective medicine to B, but arsenic poison to A. He is Imperial Sister's good Father Emperor, but that doesn't mean the same to me.

In comparison ah......

I shallowly hook up the corners of my lips, aren't I already used to it?

That's right, I'm already used to it.

When I turn around, I happen to meet eyes with Yuwen Rui, he just calmly glances at me then continues speaking to the minister next to him. My steps does not falter, quietly leaving the scene.

I look back at Father Emperor who is surrounded by the big group of people, I have promised him to protect the treasure map well, nothing more than that.

When I come out the next day, I could only see the decorations that had looked like they were for a festival, have all been taken down, replaced with white, white, white. In sight, everything is white. I hold a peach blossom in hand as I walk extremely slowly, right now, I am heading to Cheng Xiang Hall, in order to listen to Eunuch Lu read out Father Emperor's imperial decree.