Chapter 52

"On what basis does she make you care about her?!" Consort Mi raises her voice as she says: "She's nothing more than an ordinary lass! What part of her deserves you treating her like this?! Could it be, you've forgotten how great we once were, how could you possibly do this to me for an irrelevant person, how could you possibly......" Speaking up to here, Consort Mi's voice carries quite a bit of misery.

He Lian Chen's voice is deep and cold, "What's good about her, zhen needs not explain to you. As for zhen and you......Mi Er, could it be you still don't understand, that is all in the past now."

"Past? What's called the past?" Consort Mi's voice shows no understanding, "How could it possibly be the past? Lian, we had once said we'll be one another's only one, we said we will accompany one another till old age, we said we will only love one another, and not love anyone else." Her emotions slightly grow out of control, "Yet right now you are telling me it's all in the past! You say you care for her! Care for a woman from another kingdom! How could you do this? How could you possibly do this?"

"Why can't zhen do this?" He Lian Chen calmly asks back: "Mi Er, could you have forgotten, it was you who betrayed out promises?"

"I......" Consort Mi chokes, "I know you are still bothered by this matter, but Lian, you know it, I did not want to be betrothed to Yu Xiang, the one I love has always been you. But what else could I do? I cannot defy the imperial decree, I don't have the capability to not accept the marriage......"

"Mi Er, zhen understands." He Lian Chen's tone carries laughter, but it's somewhat satirical, "So what if zhen and you had an agreement, so what if we made spoken promises of the future, you - the noble daughter of the prime minister, will naturally be matched with the dragon and phoenix amongst the people (most outstanding person). Zhen is also nothing more than a blind man, in the eyes of Prime Minister, how could I possibly be your match?"

"Lian, why do you trouble yourself with saying such words to belittle me, Yu Xiang and I had never had anything between us before, could it be, this isn't even enough?" Consort Mi's voice is delicate and pitiful.

"Hahaha." He Lian Chen happily laughs out loud, then says with extreme satire: "Mi Er, you really think zhen doesn't know about it all? Is it that there was never anything between you and Yu Xiang, or is it Yu Xiang never wanting anything with you?"

"Lian......"

"Mi Er, hope you will be able to understand, zhen is no longer the He Lian Chen from back then, you are also not the Lin Mi Er from that time. Zhen does not wish to speak of some matters too clearly, and you, best learn to draw the line for zhen." He Lian Chen's tone becomes very imposing, "Should there be another time, then don't blame zhen for not considering past sentiments."

"Lian!" Consort Mi loudly cries out: "Should you really not hold an ounce of feelings for me like you said, then why did you marry me?!"

"Why zhen married you, could you possibly not know?" He Lian Chen slowly says: "You've already gotten everything you wanted, so be it now."

"Then what about you?" Consort Mi sounds a charming laughter, "Have you gotten everything you wanted, you know I have the thing you want, could it be, you've given it up? I can give you what you want, as long as you kill that woman!"

"Mi Er." He Lian Chen is not threatened at all, calm and composed as he says: "Why are you always so confident in yourself? So what if you have the thing zhen wants? Zhen does not have to have it. Also......" His voice suddenly turns dark and deep, "You best completely erase that thought from your mind, if not, zhen will bring everything to an end before you can act. Mi Er, remember, what you can give me, she may not necessarily be unable to. And what she is able to bring me, is definitely not something you or anyone else will ever be able to."