Chapter 4

I was just heading towards kitchen, eyes only looking ahead, when suddenly, someone affectionately calls me: "Ah-Lan!"

A set of light running steps followed, and a young lass with flushed cheeks is stood before me, smiling with her teeth showing, not caring for her image at all: "Ah-Lan, where are you going?"

I was just about to ask who she is, when she once again spoke: "I'm Qing Ya, also under Young Lady."

Only now do I recall, I have indeed seen her before, and so I honestly answer: "Going to kitchen."

"Kitchen?" Qing Ya scrunches up her nose, looking somewhat funny yet very cute. "You're going to get Young Lady's bird nest?"

I nod, "En."

And so, Qing Ya acts very familiar with me, holding my hands as she says: "I'll come with you then. Ah-Lan, your hands are so soft ah, feels so nice."

I cannot be bothered thinking too deeply into what her words mean, and leave her to accompany me to the kitchen like a sparrow.

The boss of the kitchen is a middle aged woman called Aunt Cui, her fat body even worse than that of the average men, that's why that particular saying is correct, those that work in the kitchen are generally not slim, unless the food they cook is deemed inedible by themselves.

A long time servant becomes a master, such is Aunt Cui.

I heard that Aunt Cui came to the estate before Young Master was even born, of course, at that time she was just a Loli (a term that refers to young girls).

I heard that Aunt Cui was also Young Master's wet nurse.

I heard that even when the housekeeper sees Aunt Cui, he must be polite.

I heard that this was heard by so many, it thus became reality.

When we had walked in, Aunt Cui was sitting on the bench chatting to the people in the kitchen, only giving us a quick glance when she sees us and continues with her conversation.

Qing Ya beside me, smartly steps forward upon seeing the situation, saying: "Greetings Aunt Cui."

Aunt Cui speaks without much of an expression: "En, which courtyard are you from?"

Qing Ya brightly smiles: "I'm Qing Ya from Young Lady's courtyard, it hasn't been long since I've come here, this is the first time meeting Aunt Cui. Please kindly watch over me in future."

I don't say a word and fall into silence, not following suit, nor do I change my expression. Watch over? Watch over you cooking, or watch over which dish should be made more when cooking? It's a bit unlikely, because what we eat is a huge pot of rice.

But clearly, Aunt Cui is pleased to hear those words, finally showing a smile, "Indeed a smart girl."

I sensitively notice her sweep a glance at me after saying this, as to why she would glance, uh, I believe it is probably because Qing Ya and I standing together, makes a huge contrast.

Aunt Cui then says: "Came to get Young Lady's bird nest right? It's not done yet, need to wait another quarter of a hour."

Hearing this, Qing Ya obediently say: "We shall wait here then."

And then Qing Ya starts conversing with Aunt Cui with great admiration and passion. As for me, I stare at the bowl of bird nest with disinterest, watching it slow cook, until the tonic was done.

Aunt Cui skilfully places the bird nest on the table, just when I had got the snacks ready and held up the bird nest, someone enters.

"Aunt Cui." The person crisply calls out.