Chapter 9

Regarding my dreams.

It really is bashful to speak of it, my dreams is not 'sing if you want to sing, sing out loud and clear' like Zhang Han Yun, nor is it to 'be a teacher, eating pickled fish hotpot today, eating boiled fish hotpot tomorrow' like McDull.

(Reference to song by singer Zhang Han Yun / Kristy Zhang – , also reference to a famous quote from Chinese comedy cartoon McDull with the original full quote being "My aspiration, is to be a principal, after collecting the tuition fees from the students every day, I go to eat hotpot, today I eat spicy hotpot, tomorrow I eat pickled fish hotpot, the day after I eat pig bone hotpot, Teacher Chen praises me: "McDull, you have finally found the true meaning of life.")

My dream is to eat my fill when I'm hungry, to comfortably fall asleep on a full stomach, sleeping all the way until I wake up naturally.

See, just how simple my dream is, I have always been someone easy to satisfy.

I cling to the warmth of the bed when I wake up, half squinting my eyes as I start feeling sleepy again. Outside, someone lightly but continuously knocks on the door, chasing away the small number of sleepy bugs in me.

"Ah-Lan, can I come in?" Someone timidly asks.

I get up and lower my head, slowly buttoning up, "En."

"Ah-Lan, we meet again." That person stands before me, smiling extremely happily.

I stare at her for a long while, red lips, white teeth and dimples, a pretty girl ah. This pretty girl looks somewhat familiar. I dazedly ask: "You are...?"

The pretty girl looks at me in embarrassment, saying: "I'm Ke Ren, do you not remember me?"

I believe this is indeed an adorable human, but why has this adorable human come looking for me?

Ke Ren sees me stay silent and adds: "That day on the horse carriage, I was sat by your side."

She shyly blinks, eyes glittering like stars, "Ah-Lan, didn't think you would also come under Young Master's wing, how great."

I dully repeat, "How great."

I wonder why the girlies by my side are all so pretty, could it be that one has to really throw me next to a muddy monkey to reveal my stunning beauty?

Ke Ren grabs hold of my hand and sits at the table, "Ah-Lan, once you come over, I will have a companion."

So, she is roping me in.

I nod, "How great."

Ke Ren smiles more sweetly, "In future, if there's anything you're not familiar with, you can come and find me, although I am not that capable either, I will try my best to help you."

I hold her hand, sincerely saying: "How great."

"Oh, right, Ah-Lan." Ke Ren furrows her brows, "The majority of the older sisters within the courtyard are quite nice, but you must remember, you absolutely mustn't offend [Older] Sister Zi Ling, she......"

Ke Ren hesitantly glances at me, appearing slightly worried. I cannot help but to applaud her, turns out the people within the Meng Estate are all acting majors. But today, I have no interest in playing along with her script.

"Ke Ren, I'm hungry." I point to my stomach.

Ke Ren is a little disappointed, but still affectionately pulls me up and leads me out, "I'll take you to eat breakfast."

Ke Ren is very quickly sent on errand, and I could only return to my room leisurely. Today is my first day coming to Young Master's courtyard, I heard from Ke Ren that Young Master had left very early today, nor did he say what I should do, only giving out orders to not make me do anything.