Chapter 58

Having known Yuwen Rui for so many years, this really is the first time I've seen him speak with such a helpless and powerless tone. He is Yuwen Rui, the Yuwen Rui who is forever calm and composed, the Yuwen Rui who seems as though he would not even panic if Mount Tai collapses before him.

But such a Yuwen Rui, actually just said to me: 'An Ke Lan, until when will you not go ahead and leave me behind?'

And so, I freeze, thoroughly frozen, even forgetting my reply.

Yuwen Rui's long and slender fingers rest on my neck, ice cold fingertips delicately caressing and wandering. He suddenly chuckles, half lowering his lashes to conceal his eyes as he lightly says: "Should have just killed you back then."

Having said that, he does not look at me again, all that remains on that exquisite and clean face is his usual elegance and composure. When he turns around, the light blue clothing draws a beautiful curve in the air, tall and slender body slowly disappearing amongst the night.

I am still standing in my original spot, not calling out to him, nor do I chase after him.

I just dazedly watch him leave my line of sight, the hands under my sleeves tightening, in the end, I loosen them up and place them on my chest. I can feel the heart inside my chest beating irregularly, slowly breeding a strange feeling, tugging at my nerves.

I have still not forgotten the ice-cold look in his eyes, and the menacing words back then, that type of shudder still exists within my memory. But since when have I already grown accustomed to that type of shudder, and not feel a chill that penetrates the bones every time I think of it, just like I did in the past? Many things seem to pop up in my mind, his faintly smiling face, placid eyes, and those corners of his lips that forms a seeming smile. He clearly regrets not killing me back then, but why do I not feel any fear at all?

I bite down on my bottom lip, distractedly thinking about when exactly this had all happened.

The beings that are human, ultimately cannot escape these words of 'subliminal influence of character'.

I grievingly shake my head, finally deciding to submit myself, just as I wanted to raise my skirt and chase after him, I find that my skirt could not be raised. Looking down, that white little dog had actually returned to my feet, stubbornly biting onto my skirt. The corners of my eyes twitches, Xiao Bai, what are you doing now? Could it be that on this day of Qi Qiao, there's the unfortunate coincidence that you have developed feelings you shouldn't have for humans?

What lovers' day, it is enough to cause harm to people, how could it even think to cause suffering to dogs too?

I coldly say to it: "Dog meat hotpot."

Xiao Bai's body clearly shrinks back a little, but in the very next second, the look of courage and heroism appears in its eyes, firmly biting onto my skirt as it tugs it forward.

I almost held back my laughter, what's this, does it really think it's a brave solider fighting the Japanese? In this day and age, how could all the animals be so amusing? I squint my eyes, "Why have you wandered out again, where's your family's young lady?"

Xiao Bai suddenly goes crazy, releasing his bite as it loudly barks at me, moreover, each bark sounding fiercer than the other. After barking, it once again bites onto my skirt and pulls me forward, not at all bothered that its tiny little body cannot move me at all.

I squat down and look at it, its water-like eyes actually contain pleading. I helplessly poke its head, fine, let's just follow it and see what has happened.

After Xiao Bai detects my cooperation, it becomes unusually stimulated, spreading its hindlegs as it runs ahead, after a few steps, it once again looks back at me, signalling me to follow after it. I wonder, it couldn't be that its family's young lady has run into trouble, right? Hence why this younger brother Xiao Bai had come running over to me for help.