Chapter 1

As I gaze at the distant Knight School, thinking of the good times I had there, I feel a sense of excitement in the air. I watch Merlock make his magic monsters disappear, and the knights laugh along beside me as Merlock sets off his first firework. Lance's laugh is wholehearted and committed. Meanwhile, all Clay can muster up is a few loud giggles. Macy, Aaron, and Axel all laugh the same way, strong, so they then double over, gasping for breath. I have my own laugh. Loud, high pitch giggles, that never stop once they start coming. Finally, we all stop our giggles and gasps and watch the fireworks light up Knighton's sky. The bright lights flash, blue, purple, red, green, white. Black. My color. I glance down at my suit, the black little shield with my family crest on it. And smile. Merlock leaves the stage, and Jestro, the royal jester, comes in. 

Jestro isn't all too bad. Sometimes he messes up, but he's still funny. I don't know him too well, though. Clay, on the other hand, knows Jestro like the back of his hand. They're best friends and have been for a while now. I glance at Clay. He's giving Jesto an encouraging smile.

"You can do this!" He yells. Jestro turns and nods at Clay. Then, he begins his act. I don't see it, because I'm looking at the ground, I'm not really into this stuff. But I can hear it. He's panicking. Crash. Shatter. Thump. Clatter. And then, the people begin to laugh. Some are booing but still laughing. I look up. Jestro isn't taking this too well. He's trying to hide it, but he can't hold. He runs off the stage. Clay follows him.

"Where are you going?" Lance calls.

"To talk to him," Clay yells back. Then, Lance turns to me.

"You saw it. Right?" 

"No," I say. "But I could hear it." Lance sucks in a sharp and judging breath.

"You're the new knight. Sianna?" He asks. I nod.

"Yeah. Sianna Hollows." He extends his hand. I hesitate but then shake it. Then let go, drawing it quickly back to my side.

"Shy." He mutters.

"Leave her alone Lance!" Macey calls playfully. She comes over.

"You just don't know her yet." She shoves Lance with enough force to send him staggering backward. "You'll be great!" She tells me. I smile.

"Thanks," I respond.

"Come on, I want you to meet Aaron." She says, pulling me away from Lance, and towards another guy, who is using his shield like a hoverboard.

"Hey, Sianna!" He says and then zooms around on his shield. I laugh. Aaron seems friendly. "You wanna try?" He says, nodding to the hoverboard. I nod, and he helps me up. Then, he speeds off, the board can go fast. We go around the arena faster then you can say, Knighton. Soon, we are back again, and I jump off the board, giggling.

"I've never flown before!" I exclaim.

"First time's the charm," Aaron says and then zooms off again. I laugh. Suddenly, I can hear a loud boom in the distance. I turn, and an orange wave comes out through the library.

That's where Clay went.

I seem to be the only one to notice, because while everyone chatters away, I speed off, following the orange glow, and soon, faint moaning. I skid to a halt in front of the library hallway. Clay was the source of the moaning. The library door has a small flame on it, but I don't care. I run towards Clay. He glances up at me, and before I can reach him, he goes limp.

"Clay!" I scream, kneeling down next to him. "Clay?! Can you hear me?" I yell. He doesn't respond. Not a flinch. I shake him. 

"Clay! Wake up!" I scream. I look at the library door. The flame has consumed it, and I can see inside. All the books were covered in soot and ash, sparkes whizzed around, hitting every piece of precious paper in the room. In the middle?

Merlock's burnt up hat.

"Clay!" I scream. "Merlock! Anyone?" A spark lands on my cheek, burning my skin, but I don't care. Help. I need to get help. I stand, look back at the library, and then sprint down the hall, screaming Macey's name.