Chapter 51

Finally, after what seemed like forever, we got past all the traps. The range of severity varied, from fake floors to swinging maces. But soon, we reached the main hallway. 

"All that for the main hallway?" Axl complained.

"Yeah, I still don't know why Monsturx chose that design," Jestro laughs nervously. He just receives forced smiles.

"Do you know how to get the room?" Macey yells over the chanting.

"I was blindfolded the whole way there," Jestro shakes his head no. "But Sianna might,"

All heads turn to me. I sigh. 

"This way," I lead them across the main entrance and into the left hall. We start walking a little quicker, and soon, break out into a run. I stop everyone just before we reach the room. 

"Wait," I say. "We need a more elaborate plan, Jestro and I just made a map, now we need a strategy." Everyone murmurs in agreement.

"Is there more than one entrance to this place?" Macey yells over the even louder chanting. 

"No," I say. Jestro looks at me with some sort of surprise and sadness. 

How come you know more than me? He mouths.

You didn't know about the room, remember? I mouth back. He only nods. Now, the room begins to get brighter. I lower the face shield of my helmet to protect my eyes from the light. All the knights do that as well, but Jestro doesn't have a helmet. So he pulls his hat over his eyes. I guide him away from the door so no one sees him, and we move a little farther from the light, maybe a foot away from the door. Jestro turns to face our sound, using the wall for guidence.

"We should wait until the book is most vulnerable," He says.

"Really?" Lance says sarcastically. "And when is that?" 

Silence.

"I don't think we're ready for this," Macey declares. "Let's go back,"

"No! The ritual is about to start! We can't!" Jestro pleads.

"Jestro, please! We aren't ready. It's over." She walks away. Jestro stands there, shaking, tears forming in his eyes. I pace the floor as the knights start to disperse. Think, think! Suddenly, I get an idea.

"Guys wait! Remember that unit we did on magic rituals?"

"Yeah," says Aaron. "We're in a battle, not a ritual."

"Right! The teacher told us about Monstrux's ritual too," I look over at Jestro. "Remember?"

"Yeah!" His face brightens from beneath his hat. "He has to swallow all the books-"

"And then go in for the hit-"

"And that's when he's the weakest!" Jestro cries out! The knights start to come back.

"So we wait for the Book to announce all eleven book names, and then attack?"

"Yes!" I laugh. "How come I didn't remember this before?" 

And then the chanting stops. 

We all sharply turns our heads to face the door. Jestro takes his hat off his eyes and backs away from the door.

"I'll stay," He whispers, gripping his staff as his life depends on it. Because it does.

Monstrux's voice is muffled by the walls, and then suddenly, like a megaphone, we hear him shout.

"The Book of Evil!" A strange sound comes from the door. I grimace.

It's almost over.