Chapter 8

The knights barge into the fortress, and I watch them from a side hallway. All of them have multiple expressions on their faces. Mixtures of concern, annoyance, anger, and, was that revenge? I shake my head. Focus. I have to get to Macey, but I don't dare step into the massive fight. I might make my condition worse. 

"Macey." I hiss. She freezes, but still swings off the occasional monster. "Macey!" She begins to walk towards the sound of my voice, but the other knights don't notice. When she gets close enough, I grab her arm, covering her mouth with my free hand so I don't attract attention. Her muffled yelling is barely audible. Then, I bring her over to another corner, where I let go of her.

"Who are you?!" Her eyes are shut tight, but then she opens them, to gasp loudly. "Siann-"

"Shh! I don't want anyone to hear us." I gesture towards the massive battle outside. She nods her head in understanding. 

"We...I...but... I was worried." She says. I hug her tightly.

"And I was waiting for you," I say, crossing my arms in an overly dramatic manner. She laughs.

"I'll go get Clay, we can get you out of here." She turns to leave, but I grab her arm again.

"No, I want to stay here."

"Are you crazy? Did Jestro do something to you?" She holds up four fingers. "How many?"

"Four." I sigh. "Look, I found a room. With a table and chains. It's not for me, the chains are too big. I'm worried that it's for Jestro."

"Why would you be worried about him?" 

"For one thing, he's Clay's best friend." Her expression softens. "And, I been noticing that the book hasn't corrupted him all the way."

"It hasn't?"

"It hasn't. I want to investigate."

"Really? I... guess it would help." She pulls something out of her pocket. Then, presses it into my hand. "It's a mini communication device. Robin made it a week before..."

"I was kidnapped." The words slip off my tongue before I can stop them. Macey flinches. But, continues to talk.

"If you find anything new, you can talk to me." She lifts up hers. I smile and put the device into my bag.

"Thanks. I have to go." I smile again. "Bye Macey!"

"Bye Sianna!" She turns around.

"Don't tell," I say.

"I won't." She sighs and joins the battle again. I continue to watch from my corner. Axel glances at her.

"Where were you?" He asks while swinging at a monster.

"I followed a monster around there." She points into the hall. Axel doesn't respond. Finally, after a few more minutes, the Knights leave the castle. Without a book in hand. Jestro had won. Again. I breathe slowly in the hallway, my own breaths echoing in my ears. My plan worked. I run my hand over my bag and feel the device brush against my fingers. I walk to the place where the fight had taken place. then, sit on the floor. The only thing I have to do now is to make sure Jestro doesn't find out about the device.

One mess up, and its game over.