Chapter 21

When I wake up, everything is blurry, but I can make out the shape of Jestro. He's sitting down, leaning against the wall, and fiddling with his staff. I sit up, and he looks at me.

"You're awake!" Jestro sighs in relief.

"What happened?" I say.

"You blacked out after we got here." He twirls his staff in his hand. "Also, the knights left."

"Ugh. I must be covered with scratches and bruises." I look at my arms.

"Yeah, but those heal up pretty quick." 

"I guess." I think back to the battle. The other knights are still worried about me. I shake my head, and hope what I'm about to do doesn't go wrong. "If I show you this, you need to swear that you won't tell The Book Of Monsters."

"I promise, on our friendship." I smile, knowing that I can trust him, to an extent. I pull out the little intercom. Jestro gasps.

"The last time the knights were here, Macey gave me this, so that she could know I was okay."

"You've been using this the whole time?"

"The whole time. So far, only Macy and Lance use it." Jestro looks at the intercom, then at me, and back at the intercom.

"You haven't been telling them stuff about us, have you?"

"No." I lie. Jestro buys it and smiles.

"How does it work?" Jestro leans in closer to inspect the speaker.

"You need to be quiet, don't say anything." He nods and puts a finger to his lip. And, I press the button.

"Lance." I hiss. "Macy."

"Oh my god, Sianna." Lance drags out my name. "I was trying to sleep."

"Too bad, if I can't sleep, you can't either." Lance groans.

"So, how's everything going in Lava-Town?"

"Alright. It isn't bad. The heat is unbearable though." Lance laughs.

"I can relate, the AC here is broken."

"Is lava pouring through it?" I retort. Jestro holds back a laugh.

"...No." He's quiet. "Clay wants us to come train. I have to go."

"Okay, bye Lance!"

"Bye." Static turns into hmmmmm. Jestro laughs.

"That's so cool!" He looks at the speaker. "It's a secret now." He gets up, motioning me to come with him.

"I'll stay here." He frowns, but Jestro nods his head and leaves the room. I exhale like I was holding my breath. 

Now I really know who to trust here.