Chapter 26

"So," Aaron says as we begin to fly to the bridge. Right now, I'm hitching a ride on Aaron's hover shield. Just like I did on my first day as a knight. "Are you going to stay?"

"No. I'm going back," I tell him. Aaron turns his head to look at me.

"Why? Isn't Jestro the bad guy?" I shudder. No, nitwit, he's not. 

"I'll explain after we gather everyone." Aaron gives me a face that spills confusion and then lands the shield. 

"Alright, first up is Macey." I nod. Aaron shoots at the ropes holding her to the pole of the bridge. She falls down, landing on her feet and picking up her weapons. She turns to both of us. I wave, and in response, Macey's face lights up with delight. She quickly heads in our direction, and I'm greeted with a huge hug.

"Sianna!" She whisper-yells, trying not to be heard.

"Good to see you too," I say. "C' mon, next on the resue list is Clay." She nods, and soon, we're off the GPS location Aaron has pinpointed. Macy has her own vehicle, but I'm still with Aaron. We reach a deserted looking village. The people have probably already barricaded the doors of their homes, in hopes of protection. Clay had been tied to a spinning target. He looks dizzy. The monsters guarding him leave, to go do who knows what, and Aaron quickly unties him. He falls face-first on the dirt but is quickly on his feet. Aaron leads him back to where Macey and I are waiting. He gasps.

"Oh  my god, Sianna!" He tries to contain himself. "Are you okay, did Jestro do anything to you?" He starts talking quickly.

"She's going to explain when we're all together," Aaron says sarcastically. Clay only looks at me in a state of shock.  Soon enough, we've picked up Axel and Lance. Along with Lance's new "friend" Hamletta. We get back to the Fortrex.

"Okay," Aaron confirms. "What is this that you have to explain?" Everybody looks at me. The Fortrex rumbles. I take a deep breath.

"Jestro isn't the bad guy." I spit out. Everybody exchanges glance. 

"What do you mean?" Axel says, confused.

"The Book of Monsters is controlling him like a puppet. It's this magic book, the book of evil, which-"

"Can turn anyone and anything." Merlock 2.0 pipes up. 

"Exactly."  I finish. The knights whisper to each other.

"How?" Clay questions. "How are you sure?" I stare at him, wanting to break his nose. I want to tell them, yet it won't come out.

"He... he was nice to me. Treated me like a friend." I start. "And there's a room," I say.

"Oh, that room." Macey nods in agreement. Everyone looks at her. 

"A room. It has a table. Chains. They won't fit over my hands. Or any other hand except-"

"Jestro's." Macey finishes. Everyone is silent. Clay pressed his hands together as if to say something like; "Dear God." I stand up. Everyone looks at me as I do so.

"Which is why I'm going back," Everyone gasps. "To his fort."

"But, you just got back!" Clay calls me out. "And we need you here."

"I'm already doing my part." I pull the speaker out of the bag. Lance holds his up as well and stands next to Macey. "I'm passing over information." Clay and Axel both gasp. Clay looks from Lance to Macey to me. He sighs.

"Fine," I smirk. "We'll take you back. Before we go defend the king." 

"Great!" I exclaim. Before I can turn around, the knights all pull me into a big group hug. I don't expect it and don't do anything for a little bit. But then I return it. We all let go, and Macey leads me out so she can take me back to the Lavalands. We arrive at Jestro's fortress in a few minutes of eerie silence. When I step out, she grabs my wrist and turns me to face her.

"Be careful. I'll miss you." She gives me a shit-eating grin and turns her vehicle around.

"Miss you too," I say. Her vehicle drives off, and I push the gates of Jestro's castle open. I step inside and close the gates. I decide to rub my hands on the ground. Make it look like I didn't wash them at the Fortrex. I never escaped, that's what Jestro will think.

None of this ever happened, I think before choosing an empty room and sitting down to think.