Chapter 36

Chaos erupted in the room. Loud talking and sulking and just general panic. 

"I knew it! I knew something was wrong!" Merlcok silenced everyone. "I can remember it now, all the magic books, they belonged to Monstrux!"

"Great. As if magic monsters isn't enough, we have to deal with an all-powerful evil overlord. Just what I need." Lance sarcastically spits out. 

"What's our evidence here though?" Aaron asks. "I mean, how do we know he isn't lying." I raise my eyebrow and think.

"He mentioned something about the last time, when..." I pause. "...we ran into each other. And he talked about some ritual." A gasp.

"The chain room!" Macy runs over to me. "Do you think maybe..." 

"Oh no," Clay says, fidgeting with his fingers. "Does he know?"

"Hell no!" I exclaim. "If the book figures out that I told you, Jestro is doomed!"

"And what makes you say that?" He counters. I want to break every bone in his body.

"Well in case you didn't notice, Clay, I don't think-" I stop, and lower my voice. "Jestro is strong enough to... handle the magic without... a serious injury." I choose my words very carefully. Clay and Jestro and best friends.

And we all know that Jestro would probably die if Monstrux tried anything more powerful than a single book.

The thought of Jestro dying made me feel sick. None of this is his fault. I hear a sigh.

"I know this is big news," Merlock starts. "So let's sleep on it and rest well. We can start with a plan tomorrow." Everyone nods. We start to head back to our rooms. Each of our rooms is in order of who joined the school. Of course, my room was at the end of the hall, me being last to join. I had to walk alone for a little bit. I run into Jestro in the hall. He's in the guest room, across from my room.

"Hey, Sianna!" He smiles. He's innocent.

"Hey, Jestro." 

"What's wrong? You seem upset." 

"No, we just had an awkward meeting. Me coming back and all."

"Oh," He frowns. "Like, you didn't know what was happening?"

"Yeah, kinda."

"I know how you feel."

"Really?"

"Yeah..." He stops. "Well, goodnight!" He goes into the guest room. I take a quick look at his eyes before he shuts the door. They aren't a gentle yellow.

They're saturated.