Chapter 34

We bolted for the forest. Five minutes straight of running before we finally reach the trees. It was the hardest I've ever run in my life. We had run for another minute as we got to the forest, for safety, before collapsing onto the ground, out of breath.

"I think we made it!" Jestro wheezes. 

"Yup," I hold up the Book Of Betrayal in triumph. I hand Jestro the speaker. "You wanna tell Clay to pick us up?"

"Um, okay." He sits up, and I do as well. "Hello! It's Jestro. We made it to the forest, do you mind picking us up? ...Okay, thanks." He hands the speaker back to me.

"It's so awkward, talking to Clay now after everything I did."

"I would feel the same way. But you should know that Clay still cares about you,"

"He does?"

"Of course! He would have never agreed to this if he didn't," I rest a hand on his shoulder. "And I'm sure the other knights feel the same way,"

"Wow, thanks Sianna," Jestro smiles, standing up.

"No problem," I looked around the forest. It wouldn't be long until Monstrux figured out where we were. I just hoped the knights would get here in time. 

It took a little while, I suppose Monstrux is a lot stronger than we thought. Jestro fiddled with his staff as we waited, twirling it around in his hand, and even trying to juggle it, along with some rocks. To his dismay, he failed, but I told him he was good anyway. Eventually, Clay did arrive, and Jestro gave him the Book of Betrayal. We hitched a ride in his vehicle, and I watched the trees fly by as Clay and Jestro awkwardly held a conversation. They talked about the book, and Jestro's act in Funnyton, and about how King Halbert would be happy to have Jestro back on their side. 

I thought about the past couple of weeks with Jestro in his fortress. I had noticed something about Jestro that I didn't notice before. He wasn't as weak as he first portrayed himself to be. Not at all.

He had some resistance left in him, and he was determined to use it.