Chapter 46

"No," Clay whispers. I get closer to the window and take a look outside when suddenly, the chanting stops. "Are we..." 

"Let's take a heat scan." I take a scanner out of the drawer. Low and behold, Jestro and the Book are still separate. Clay sighs in relief. But then the chanting starts again.

"They might be rehearsing. They still don't have the last book."

"Oh yeah! I forgot about that." I put the scanner back in the drawer and look at the sky. It seems darker, so it must be night time. "We should probably go to bed." I wink.

"Yeah," Clay turns to face the door. "It's time for bed! We can keep training tomorrow!" He yells. I put my radio in the palm of his hand, pocketing the other one, and head to my room. I tell Clay to wait for an hour before going, and I use that hour to go to sleep.

I wake up to static. 

"I have the book and I'm leaving," Comes a voice through the radio.

"Perfect. Good luck." Through the radio, the chanting, which didn't stop through the night, gets louder, and other noises play into it. Drums. People talking. I start to hear Clay conversing with General Magmar. And soon, Monstrux enters the conversation. I catch little bits of words like "switch" and "book" and "Jestro". Until finally, fast-paced footsteps echo through the radio.

"Hello?" 

"Jestro?"

"Sianna!" Jestro laughs.

"Yeah, just stay calm, I'll be right there," I throw on shoes as the laughs slowly morph into sobbing. I run down the hallway, dropping the radio onto the metal floor with a clang. Reaching the gate to the Fortrex, I slam my hand onto the button and run up the ever so slowly descending gate. I jump off the ledge and land on the ground with a thud. 

It's extremely hot outside, and I pause for a minute, letting myself get used to the heat again before moving on. Jestro's probably not coming out of the front gate, because that would be guarded, so I head to the back. That's where I find him slumped on the wall, balling his eyes out. 

"Jestro! Jestro!" I scream. He looks up, smiles, and picks himself up. I run to him, pulling him into a hug. 

"I'm sorry!" He says softly.

"For what?"

"If I hadn't gone in there, everything would be fine, Clay wouldn't be captured, and," A gulp. "Monstrux, wouldn't have all the books."

"But we have something he doesn't have."

"What's that?"

"You," I say, taking his wrist and pulling him into the Fortrex. I close the door.

"Dude," I hear from behind me. I turn.

"Aaron?"

"What's going on?"

"Is anyone else awake?"

"No,"

"Then I'll explain in the kitchen."