Chapter 28

Jestro leads me through his fortress to a part of it I haven't seen before. The hallways are narrow and the ceiling is low. It's like we're in a tunnel.

"Even though I have this new...thing," He points at his eyes. "I trust you."

"Yes?" I cock my head to the side, confused. 

"I think I'll let you come here." He continues. The ceilings get progressively higher. We reach a doorway, and he opens it. Inside, a large empty room. Well, not really empty. Human and circle-shaped targets are spread across it.  Along with some kind of an arsenal on the back wall. I can feel my eyes light up. I had no idea Jestro had to train his monsters to fight so well.

"Is this a training room?" I rotate myself in a full circle as I walk in.

"Yup." Jestro smiles. "I mean, not all monsters can fight. It also kinda just felt like it needed to be here. Evil fortress and all." He puts evil fortress in air quotes. I laugh. I find myself in front of the arsenal.

"Can I?" I pick up I scythe, like mine back at the Fortrex. Jestro nods his head yes, closing the door behind him. I look at one of the human-shaped targets. I had wanted to break Clay's nose earlier. I take the butt of the scythe and slam it into the target's "face". It cracks. Jestro flinches. I remind myself that I know how to use this and that maybe the idea me fighting scares Jestro.

We are friends now.

I take the blade of the scythe and slam it into a circle target, slicing it down the middle.

"Wow," I mutter to myself. I've been here for about a week. I'm surprised my skills aren't that rusty. I turn to Jestro. "You can use that as a weapon too." I point at his staff.

"I can?" He asks. He looks at it silently, as if he had never considered the idea. 

"Sure you can!" I walk up to him and position the staff in his hands so that he could hit a target with the butt of it as I had. I take him over to a target. "Hit the target with the back of your staff," I instruct him. He does so, making a tiny crack in it.

"Ah!" He yells, surprised. He looks at the staff, repositions it, and tries it again by swinging the top of it. The crack gets bigger. He looks at his staff. "I didn't know I could do that!" He laughs.

"See, you just had to try," I tell him. He smiles and heads back to the entrance. I replace the scythe. We head out of the room and back to where we were before. I stop him before he leaves.

"Thank you," I tell him, pausing. "Could I go whenever I want?"

"Of course! Thank you too." He nods at his staff and then walks away. 

I watch him leave, enchanted by the fact that he trusted me with attempting to "hurt" something. Maybe he really is trying hard. I shake my head.

You can tell he's been trying ever since he was blasted out of the castle library.