Chapter 42

I let myself in and sat in the middle of the mess. The squirebots stayed in the corner, as though I would do something. But I didn't. I just sat there, staring at the wood on the floor; my mind empty. I sat like this for who knows how long. Clay had covered the clock on the wall when we first began using the Fortrex, so I didn't even bother looking. The bots slowly began to clean up the mess.

"No," I stopped them. "I'll do it later." 

They looked very surprised at first. But soon scattered, probably to find something else to do. I continued to sit there. Alone in a messy, empty room. I thought about what I had seen at the Fortress. The room and the fire.

Fire.

Remember when Jestro helped me through that panic attack? Now, that's all I can think of. He was nice to me. He was nice to me. There he was, the book only a few hallways away, helping his hostage as though she was his friend. And we are friends. I find that funny. 

Someone entered the room and sat down in front of me.

"Yikes, wonder who messed up the room."

"Clay."

"Clay?"

"He's mad." 

"Why? Jestro's the enemy." Excuse me? If I'm going to explode, now I the time. So that's what I do.

"No, he's not! He has valuable information and tried to help us. He's Clay's friend. He's my friend! Don't you get it? Everything that could have helped us win is gone. It's like you don't even try! Do you even want to be a knight?"

"No. I don't."

"What?"

"I don't. Want. To be a knight."

"Why? What about the glory and fame?"

"Yeah, there's that. But that's not the glory and fame I want. I want to be an actor. That's why I was part of the movie a few weeks ago."

"What movie?" 

"I'll tell you later." He pauses. "My parents made me sign up for knight school. And look where I am now. I don't try because I don't want to be here." I look at his face. He looks empty. Sad. Somehow, this is Lance. But at the same time, it's not.

"Oh," I haven't thought about it like that. "I'm sorry, Lance. I didn't know."

"It's alright." He smiles again, back to normal. "Tell you what. How about we clean this up, and then get ready for an epic Monstrux battle?"

"You, cleaning? I'd like to see that."

"Oh, I won't clean it. I'll pay you to do it for me. But I'll do the training." I laugh.

"Alright." I catch myself smiling. Huh.

Maybe everything will be ok.