Chapter 54

I close my eyes, not wanting to watch. I hear a deep rumble from the hall. I open one eye, and low and behold, the Black Knight! We might have a fighting chance! All the monsters lunge for it, but Robin is easily able to send them flying away. Aaron shoots an arrow and breaks one of the chains that's holding down Clay's hand.

"Catch!" Robin yells, throwing an orange, glowing sword into Clay's hand. Merlock? Clay just barely catches it and looks at it. He aims. One of the chains on his foot breaks. Then the other. He's about to be Monstrux prey! I scream. But, the book sucks in the sword. And everything stops.

The thing looks like it's about to hurl. It glows, slowly falling apart, and then the room is engulfed in heat and light. I can hear something fall. It lands on my back. Another sharp pain. The something much bigger lands next to me; then many small things. The light finally disappears. 

Rocks!

The ceiling fell, just like in my dream from when I was trapped here. I manage to lift up the large rock off my back, and I use my scythe to climb over the other rocks. When I emerge, I find the other knights helping each other up. Macy and Jestro help Clay out of the rubble, and Jestro quickly wipes drying tears off his face as the three begin to talk. I smile softly. I scan the room. Everyone is rejoicing. Except for Robin. Robin looks like he's about to cry, he's kneeling over something. I drop down to the ground and begin the wander closer. 

"Merlock!" Robin's voice cracks. "Merlock!" I break out into a sprint, halting when I reach Robin. The once orange sword is a pastel blue.

"No," I mutter. Robin picks up the sword and clutches it.

"Merlock?" All the knights gather around. We wait in silence for a few minutes.

"Again," Clay begins, frowning. "Merlock has sacrificed himself to save us." He looks at the group. Everyone frowns. It's over, but at a price.

I begin to walk away, but I then stop. The orange glow is starting to return to the sword.