Chapter 30

I could feel some sort of hitch in my breath as I walked further away from Jestro. He was scaring me. My heart was still pounding. Jestro's staff was still in my hand. 

Jestro's staff was surprisingly heavy. It was hard to imagine the concept of him being able to lift it. He still does anyway. It has a black, shiny handle and a gold sun on the top. The staff was decently clean; which surprised me because we were literally sitting on a mountain of ash and dirt. 

I pace myself far away enough from the room and take out Robin's speaker.

"Guys, hello?" I wait a few seconds.

"Hey, it's Robin, what's up?" He sounds happy.

"I need to talk to Merlock. It's urgent." Robin can sense the panic in my voice, and I hear footsteps.

"Sianna?" 

"Hey, Merlock." 

"Hello! How are you doing?" I hesitate, and then it all spills out. I tell Merlock about how Jestro attacked me, and the book and the magic. He was silent the whole time.

"And so I contacted you," I finished.

"Interesting. It sounds like you're dealing with the Book of Revenge."

"Revenge?"

"Yes, it takes over and only presents reasons to fear or hate someone instead of letting it's host think things through."

"Oh," I stammer. This isn't good. 

"Yes," Merlock says. I turn off the speaker.

What am I going to tell Jestro?