Chapter 41

Lance reluctantly took the staff from me, handing it to Clay before leaving. Probably to take a nap. Clay just stood there and look at it. Slowly, everyone dispersed, to their rooms, the kitchen, etc. Clay was the last to leave, tightly gripping the staff as though his life depended on it. I went to Merlock 2.0's little room, where Ava was furiously practicing her coding.

"Merlock?" I asked. 

"Hm? What's wrong?"

"Did you watch the news?"

"No, but I can search it in my database." He paused for a minute like he was watching something. The news, probably. His eyes widened with reaction. "Oh, I see." 

"Yeah," I mumbled. 

"What will we do about it?"

"I'm not sure. It may be too late." I frowned. I didn't want to think about that.

If I'm going, to be honest, I'd never seriously considered that Jestro could die until now. I didn't really want to think about it. Monstrux is an all-powerful, evil, magic force. He can do anything, and destroy anyone. Jestro is a frail, innocent jester who went the wrong way. I feel my throat tighten. 

"Don't say that!" Merlock exclaimed. "Maybe you just need to think." 

"Think?" I can feel anger bubbling in me. "This is bad, really bad. And you want me to think?"

"You have to understand, if you try and do it angrily, you'll do it wrong." Anger turns into fury. 

"Maybe," I huff. I get up and storm out of the command center. I let myself stomp off to the training room. Before I go in, I hear a loud crack. I peek through the door.

Clay is still in his full armor, slamming his sword into just about every target he could find. He looks upset. Angry. The Squire-Bots cower in a corner, waiting anxiously to give Clay his next target, only for him to smash it again. He storms out of the room, and I step out of his way. I walk into the room, looking at the splinters and chips of paint and fear surrounding everything. It was anything but Clay's usual organization and order. It was chaos and destruction.

Wow.