Chapter 11

I stop and turn around to follow Jestro. I have an idea. If I can get outside, I might be able to look for possible escape routes for when my plan is complete. 

"Hey, wait!" I yell. He keeps walking. "Jestro!" I call. I can hear him sigh.

"What?" Jestro snaps. 

"Can I go outside?"

"No."

"Just the perimeter, I've never been to the lava lands before."

"No."

"Maybe if you go with me I won't try to escape?" I attempt to bribe him. He sighs again.

"Well, I've got nothing else to do." He says, annoyed.

"Yes!" I whisper. Jestro rolls his eyes.

"You sure are annoying."

"And you think you're not? I'm trying to take a nap and you pull an attack on a town." I retort. He stifles a laugh.

"I didn't know knights still napped," Jestro says.

"How do you think we manage to fend off multiple attacks in one day?"

"It does make sense." He thinks out loud, and we approach the exit. I feel giddy, like a child on their birthday, but I conceal it. The monsters give us one glance, but let Jestro open the gate anyway. I hesitate, the lava is starting to scare me. But, I step out anyway. Almost immediately, I'm greeted with a wave of heat. 

"To tell the truth, Lance does most of the napping." I clarify, and Jestro raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah, okay." He countered. I take a glance at the red sky and begin to walk around the edges of his fortress. The outside is made of magma too, which isn't safe at all, seeing how easily the place could fall on top of our heads. I also notice that there were lava pools a dozen yards off, and the same goes with the deranged mountains. There were no clouds, except for the ones that drifted in from the other half of Knighton, but those evaporated by the time you could say "Princess Macey Halbert." Jestro leans against the outside wall of the ugly thing he calls a fortress. He has his eyes on me, and every once in a while, I glance at him too. I circle the entire fortress, with Jestro always a few feet behind. At one point, I glanced back, to find him smiling, a gentle smile, but he quickly returns to his neutral expression when he finds me looking. I finally reach the gates again. Jestro stops at my side.

"Do you want to go back in?" He asks, and I nod. The lava was starting to make me dizzy, and I  gently rest a hand on the wall. I found that my head didn't hurt. I smile at the thought. Jestro opens one of the doors and I walk in. 

"My head doesn't hurt," I exclaim, surprised.

"What did I tell you?" He says calmly. "I have to go. Evil meeting thing." Jestro then walks off. I turn around the corner and decide to wander around more. For one, I didn't know that villains had so much free time. Us knights have so much to do that it seems like there are five minutes in between each attack. Here, it feels like a day. I smile. I notice Jestro is warming up to me. Satisfied, I decided to go back to the window room and talk to Macey.